Financial Distress and Industry Structure: An inter-industry approach to the "Lost Decade" in Japan
AbstractThis paper proposes a novel approach to investigating the propagation mechanism of balance sheet deterioration in financial institutions and firms, by extending the input-output analysis. First, we use input-output tables classified by firm size. Second, we link the input-output table with the balance sheet conditions of financial institutions and firms. Based on Japanese input-output tables, we find that the lending attitude of financial institutions affected firms' input decision in the late 1990s and the early 2000s. Simulation exercises are conducted to evaluate the effects of changes in the lending attitude toward small firms, as favorable as toward large firms, on sectoral allocations. We find that output was increased for small firms and reduced for large firms. The change in output was non-negligible, about 5.5% of the initial output of each sector. In particular it exceeded 20% in textile, iron and steel and fabricated metal products.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) in its series Discussion papers with number 10048.
Length: 43 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Kazuo Ogawa & Elmer Sterken & Ichiro Tokutsu, 2012. "Financial Distress And Industry Structure: An Inter-Industry Approach To The Lost Decade In Japan," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(3), pages 229-249, April.
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2010-10-16 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CMP-2010-10-16 (Computational Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Love, Inessa & Preve, Lorenzo A. & Sarria-Allende, Virginia, 2007.
"Trade credit and bank credit: Evidence from recent financial crises,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 453-469, February.
- Love, Inessa & Preve, Lorenzo A. & Sarria-Allende, Virginia, 2005. "Trade credit and bank credit : evidence from recent financial crises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3716, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.