On the Number of alpha-Pivotal Players
AbstractWe show that bounds like those of Al-Najjar and Smorodinsky (J. Econ. Theory, 2000) as well as of Gradwohl et al. (Math. Oper. Res., 2009) on the number of alpha-pivotal agents can be obtained by decomposition of variance. All these bounds have a similar asymptotic behaviour, up to constant factors. Our bound is weaker than that of Al-Najjar and Smorodinsky, but we require only pairwise independent—rather than independent—types. Our result strengthens the bound of Gradwohl et al.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich in its series CER-ETH Economics working paper series with number 11/142.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2011
Date of revision:
alpha-pivotal agent; influence; direct mechanism; decomposition of variance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
- D89 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2011-02-19 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-GTH-2011-02-19 (Game Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerardi, Dino & Yariv, Leeat, 2008.
"Information acquisition in committees,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 436-459, March.
- Al-Najjar, Nabil I., 2001. "A reputational model of authority," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 165-191, October.
- Hans Gersbach, 2009. "Democratic Mechanisms," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 7(6), pages 1436-1469, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.