Transaction Costs and Institutional Innovation: Sustainability of Tank Aquaculture in Sri Lanka
AbstractFreshwater community-based aquaculture was introduce to village irrigation tanks in the dry zones of Sri Lanka in order to off-set the limited supply of animal protein available to residents in inland areas. This paper examines transaction costs associated with the management of community-based aquaculture in Anuradhapura district, the most important inland fish production area in the country. The study suggests that sustainability of community-based aquaculture depends on successes in experimenting with institutional arrangements that can minimize transaction costs and achieve adequate returns to participants through productivity gains from tanks. [SANDEE Working Paper 18]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:839.
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
Community-base aquaculture; transaction costs; farmer organizations; Agriculture; Economics;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1973. "Markets and Hierarchies: Some Elementary Considerations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(2), pages 316-25, May.
- North, Douglass C, 1978. "Structure and Performance: The Task of Economic History," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 963-78, September.
- Panabokke, C. R. & Sakthivadivel, R. & Weerasinghe, A. D., 2002. "Evolution, present status and issues concerning small tank systems in Sri Lanka [Small tanks in Sri Lanka: evolution, present status and issues]," IWMI Books, Reports H029980, International Water Management Institute.
- repec:ags:mareec:28228 is not listed on IDEAS
- Panabokke, Christopher Rajendra & Sakthivadivel, Ramaswamy & Dias Weerasinghe, A., 2002. "Evolution, present status and issues concerning small tank systems in Sri Lanka [Small tanks in Sri Lanka: evolution, present status and issues]," IWMI Books, Reports H036586, International Water Management Institute.
- North, Douglass C., 1989. "Institutions and economic growth: An historical introduction," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(9), pages 1319-1332, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.