Migration and Labour mobility in the Leather Accessories Manufacture in India
AbstractLiberalisation and the policies thereafter have lead to a definite increase in production and export from the leather accessories industry in India. The focus of this paper is on migration and labour mobility in the leather accessories manufacture in Dharavi, Mumbai. The core data for the paper are from field surveys conducted in the industry in Dharavi, Mumbai, in 2000–2001, roughly 10 years after the economic reforms of the 1990s were initiated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:451.
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Note: Conference Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
leather accessories manufacture; labour mobility; Dharavi; Mumbai; leather exports; informal sector; unorganised industry; small-scale industry; small scale industry; Economics; Industry; Sociology;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prabir C. Bhattacharya, 1996. "The role of the informal sector in structural transformation: Some Indian evidence," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 83-94.
- Toru Nakanishi, 1996. "Comparative Study Of Informal Labor Markets In The Urbanization Process: The Philippines And Thailand," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 34(4), pages 470-496, December.
- Cinar, E. Mine, 1994. "Unskilled urban migrant women and disguised employment: Home-working women in Istanbul, Turkey," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 369-380, March.
- Chari, Sharad, 2000. "The Agrarian Origins of the Knitwear Industrial Cluster in Tiruppur, India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 579-599, March.
- Priya Deshingkar & Shaheen Akter, 2009.
"Migration and Human Development in India,"
Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present)
HDRP-2009-13, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), revised Apr 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.