Urbanization in India: Evidence on Agglomeration Economies
AbstractThe paper examines the urbanization pattern with context of India. The paper deals with various demographic aspects of urbanization. Also the paper focuses on characteristics and classes of cities, and poverty and slums. [Working Paper 141]. URL: [http://fgks.in/IndexServer/tifac/article/141.pdf]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:4394.
Date of creation: Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
urbanization; Indian; low productivity; developing countries; housing; workers; slums; Agglomeration Economies; industrialization; economic development; developed nations; city; economic growth; employment; poverty; labour;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moomaw, Ronald L., 1983. "Is population scale a worthless surrogate for business agglomeration economies?," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 525-545, November.
- Fujita, Masahisa & Thisse, Jacques-François, 2002.
"Does Geographical Agglomeration Foster Economic Growth? And Who Gains and Looses From It?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3135, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Masahisa Fujita & Jacques-François Thisse, 2003. "Does Geographical Agglomeration Foster Economic Growth? And Who Gains and Loses from It?," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 54(2), pages 121-145.
- Koichi Futagami & Yasushi Ohkusa, 2003. "The Quality Ladder and Product Variety: Larger Economies May Not Grow Faster," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 54(3), pages 336-351.
- Helsley, Robert W. & Strange, William C., 1990. "Matching and agglomeration economies in a system of cities," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 189-212, September.
- Mitra, Arup, 1999. "Agglomeration Economies as Manifested in Technical Efficiency at the Firm Level," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 490-500, May.
- Nakamura, Ryohei, 1985. "Agglomeration economies in urban manufacturing industries: A case of Japanese cities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 108-124, January.
- Henderson, J. Vernon, 1986. "Efficiency of resource usage and city size," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 47-70, January.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitra, Arup & Varoudakis, Aristomene & Veganzones-Varoudakis, Marie-Ange, 2002. "Productivity and Technical Efficiency in Indian States' Manufacturing: The Role of Infrastructure," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(2), pages 395-426, January.
- John K. Mullen & Martin Williams & Ronald L. Moomaw, 1996. "Public capital stock and interstate variations in manufacturing efficiency," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 51-67.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Nirupam Bajpai & Ananthi Ramiah, 2002. "Understanding Regional Economic Growth in India," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 1(3), pages 32-62.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990. "Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Dierx, Adriaan H., 1990. "Intermetropolitan transfer costs and the equilibrium size of metropolitan areas," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 173-187, September.
- Kuchiki, Akifumi, 2005. "Theory of a Flowchart Approach to Industrial Cluster Policy," IDE Discussion Papers 36, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Bert F. Hoselitz, 1953. "The Role of Cities in the Economic Growth of Underdeveloped Countries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61, pages 195.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.