Lessons from Japan’s Banking Crisis
AbstractThe Japanese government’s response to the financial crisis in the 1990s was late, unprepared and insufficient; it failed to recognize the severity of the crisis, which developed slowly; faced no major domestic or external constraints; and lacked an adequate legal framework for bank resolution. Policy measures adopted after the 1997–1998 systemic crisis, supported by a newly established comprehensive framework for bank resolution, were more decisive. Banking sector problems were eventually resolved by a series of policies implemented from that period, together with an export-led economic recovery. [ADBI Working Paper 222]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:2992.
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
Japanese; financial crisis; domestic; framework; policies;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tamaki,Norio, 2005. "Japanese Banking," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521022330.
- Fabian Valencia & Luc Laeven, 2008. "Systemic Banking Crises: A New Database," IMF Working Papers 08/224, International Monetary Fund.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil K, 2010.
"Will the U.S. bank recapitalization succeed? Eight lessons from Japan,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 398-417, September.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K Kashyap, 2008. "Will the U.S. Bank Recapitalization Succeed? Eight Lessons from Japan," NBER Working Papers 14401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Masahiro Kawai, 2005.
"Reform of the Japanese Banking System,"
Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
d05-102, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kawai, Masahiro & Pomerleano, Michael, 2010.
"Regulating Systemic Risk,"
ADBI Working Papers
189, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Ulrich Volz, 2012.
"Lessons of the European Crisis for Regional Monetary and Financial Integration in East Asia,"
Finance Working Papers
23189, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Ulrich Volz, 2013. "Lessons of the European crisis for regional monetary and financial integration in East Asia," Asia Europe Journal, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 355-376, December.
- Volz, Ulrich, 2012. "Lessons of the European Crisis for Regional Monetary and Financial Integration in East Asia," ADBI Working Papers 347, Asian Development Bank Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.