Marginal Abatement Costs of Carbon-Dioxide Emissions: A Meta-Analysis
AbstractIn this paper we carry out a meta-analysis of recent studies into the costs of greenhouse gas mitigation policies that aim at the long-term stabilization of these gases in the atmosphere. We find the cost estimates of the studies to be sensitive to the level of the stabilization target, the assumed emissions baseline, intertemporal optimisation, the choice of control variable (CO2 only versus multigas), assumptions on future technological options (backstop and carbon capture and storage), and, to a lesser degree, the scientific ?forum? in which the study was developed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) in its series Papers with number WP248.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
greenhouse gas mitigation; meta-analysis; marginal abatement costs.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2008-07-20 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2008-07-20 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frances Ruane & Xiaoheng Zhang, 2007. "Location Choices of the Pharmaceutical Industry in Europe after 1992," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp220, IIIS.
- Seán Lyons & Karen Mayor & Richard S.J. Tol, 2008. "Environmental Accounts for the Republic of Ireland: 1990-2005," Papers WP223, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Simon Dietz & Samuel Fankhauser, 2009. "Environmental prices, uncertainty and learning," Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment Working Papers 10, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Richard Tol & Stefano F Verde, 2013. "Fiscal limits on first-best climate policy: A CGE analysis for Europe," Working Paper Series 5813, Department of Economics, University of Sussex.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.