Foreign Direct Investment and Employment Creation in Pacific Island Countries: An Empirical Study of Fiji
AbstractThis paper undertakes an econometric study of the impact of FDI in Fiji during a 30-year period. In the absence of data on Fiji’s employment in FDI sectors either in aggregated form or by specific sectors, we are constrained to use data on formal sector employment as a proxy. This implies that employment in both formal and FDI related activities move in the same direction and proportion. The paper investigated the relationship between employment and foreign direct investment for Fiji through a multivariate modeling strategy by including GDP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada. in its series Working Papers with number 3507.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: May 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in ARTNeT website
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.unescap.org/tid/artnet/
Foreign Direcit Investment; Employment creation; Fiji;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Russell Smyth, 2005. "The Determinants Of Aggregate Import Demand In Brunei Darussalam: An Empirical Assessment Using A Cointegration And Error Correction Approach," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 50(02), pages 197-210.
- Premachandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1995. "Developing with Foreign Investment: Malaysia," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 28(1), pages 9-22.
- M. Bahmani-Oskooee & Gour Goswami, 2003. "A disaggregated approach to test the J-Curve phenomenon: Japan versus her major trading partners," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 102-113, March.
- Hal Hill & Prema-chandra Athukorala, 1998. "Foreign Investment in East Asia: A Survey," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 12(2), pages 23-50, November.
- Atkins, Frank J. & Coe, Patrick J., 2002. "An ARDL bounds test of the long-run Fisher effect in the United States and Canada," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 255-266, June.
- Luiz R. de Mello Jr., 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment in Developing Countries: A Selective Survey," Studies in Economics 9701, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Raymond Chi Wing Ng, 2002. "Long-Run Demand for Money in Hong Kong: An Application of the ARDL Model," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 1(2), pages 147-155, August.
- Koi Nyen Wong & Tuck Cheong Tang, 2008.
"Foreign Direct Investment And Employment In Manufacturing And Services Sectors: Fresh Empirical Evidence From Singapore,"
Development Research Unit Working Paper Series
15/08, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Koi Nyen Wong & Tuck Cheong Tang, 2011. "Foreign direct investment and employment in manufacturing and services sectors: Fresh empirical evidence from Singapore," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(3), pages 313-330, July.
- Feeny, Simon & Iamsiraroj, Sasi & McGillivray, Mark, 2014. "Growth and Foreign Direct Investment in the Pacific Island countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 332-339.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yann Duval).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.