Agricultural Land Markets and Land Leasing in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
AbstractThe aim of this study is to identify the driving forces that shape agricultural land structures, land market and land leasing in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM). Institutional developments and land reforms have so far been modest in the FYROM, and have not contributed to significant changes in agricultural ownership, operational structures, or land market and land leasing arrangements. Land ownership and land use are bimodal, consisting of several small-scale family farms and a few large-scale agricultural enterprises. The small family farms own and operate land on several small parcels, which is one of the major obstacles to the modernisation of family farm production. They produce food for household subsistence with mixed crop, fruit, vegetable, grapevine and livestock production. A considerable portion of the land is uncultivated, which affects land market and land leasing values. Due to underdeveloped institutional frameworks and market institutions in support of small-scale farms, a large proportion of state-owned land is rented by agricultural enterprises.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for European Policy Studies in its series Factor Markets Working Papers with number 113.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-02-27 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-TRA-2012-02-27 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arnott, Richard J & Lewis, Frank D, 1979.
"The Transition of Land to Urban Use,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(1), pages 161-69, February.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2012.
"European Union Land Markets and the Common Agricultural Policy,"
2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil
126683, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pavel Ciaian & d’Artis Kancs & Johan Swinnen, 2010. "EU Land Markets and the Common Agricultural Policy," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2010_47, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Jean CavailhËs & Pierre Wavresky, 2003. "Urban influences on periurban farmland prices," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(3), pages 333-357, September.
- Lerman, Zvi & Csaki, Csaba & Feder, Gershon, 2002. "Land policies and evolving farm structures in transition countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2794, The World Bank.
- David A. King & J. A. Sinden, 1994. "Price Formation in Farm Land Markets," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(1), pages 38-52.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleni Kaditi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.