Linking the Australian Emissions Trading Scheme
AbstractA detailed proposal for an economy-wide emissions trading scheme in Australia was tabled by the government in December 2008 with a proposed start date for mid-2010. The government proposes unilateral linking, with no initial bilateral linkages, through the clean development mechanism and joint implementation. The proposal has resulted in serious concern about significant permit price increases and price capping, leading to a ban on permit sales. This research paper evaluates the proposed Australian scheme in relation to international emissions trading and linkages. Different scenarios for the Australian permit price under unilateral linking are considered. Options for bilateral linking with the European Union and New Zealand schemes are also evaluated, including access to ‘hot air’ units. The research paper argues that Australia needs to dismantle linking obstacles, such as the price cap, and move towards suitable bilateral linking schemes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Environmental Economics Research Hub, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University in its series Environmental Economics Research Hub Research Reports with number 0914.
Date of creation: Feb 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/research_units/eerh/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2009-09-26 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2009-09-26 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christoph Böhringer & Ulf Moslener & Bodo Sturm, 2007.
"Hot air for sale: a quantitative assessment of Russia’s near-term climate policy options,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 38(4), pages 545-572, December.
- Böhringer, Christoph & Moslener, Ulf & Sturm, Bodo, 2006. "Hot Air for Sale: A Quantitative Assessment of Russia's Near-Term Climate Policy Options," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-16, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Anger, Niels, 2008. "Emissions trading beyond Europe: Linking schemes in a post-Kyoto world," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 2028-2049, July.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Carbon price floor axed, but EU market links a good substitute
by Frank Jotzo, Director, Centre for Climate Economics and Policy at Australian National University in The Conversation on 2012-08-28 05:33:27
- Robert W. Hahn & Robert N. Stavins, 2010.
"The Effect of Allowance Allocations on Cap-and-Trade System Performance,"
2010.80, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Robert W. Hahn & Robert N. Stavins, 2011. "The Effect of Allowance Allocations on Cap-and-Trade System Performance," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(S4), pages S267 - S294.
- Hahn, Robert W. & Stavins, Robert N., 2010. "The Effect of Allowance Allocations on Cap-and-Trade System Performance," Working Paper Series rwp10-010, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Hahn, Robert W. & Stavins, Robert Norman, 2010. "The Effect of Allowance Allocations on Cap-and-Trade System Performance," Scholarly Articles 4449098, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Robert W. Hahn & Robert N. Stavins, 2010. "The Effect of Allowance Allocations on Cap-and-Trade System Performance," NBER Working Papers 15854, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:reg:wpaper:47 is not listed on IDEAS
- Betz, Regina & Seifert, Stefan & Cramton, Peter & Kerr, Suzi, 2009.
"Auctioning Greenhouse Gas Emissions Permits in Australia,"
94878, Australian National University, Environmental Economics Research Hub.
- Betz, Regina & Seifert, Stefan & Cramton, Peter & Kerr, Suzi, 2010. "Auctioning greenhouse gas emissions permits in Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(2), June.
- Regina Betz & Stefan Seifert & Peter Cramton & Suzi Kerr, 2009. "Auctioning Greenhouse Gas Emissions Permits in Australia," Papers of Peter Cramton 09aghg, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 2009.
- Regina Betz & Stefan Seifert & Peter Cramton & Suzi Kerr, 2009. "Auctioning greenhouse gas emissions permits in Australia," Environmental Economics Research Hub Research Reports 0929, Environmental Economics Research Hub, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Peter Lawrence, 2009. "Australian climate policy and the Asia Pacific partnership on clean development and climate (APP). From Howard to Rudd: continuity or change?," International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 281-299, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Crawford Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.