Equilibrium and Strategic Communication in the Adverse Selection Insurance Model
AbstractShows equilibrium always exists (Rothschild-Stiglitz-Wilson model) when firms enforce policy exclusivity via strategic (profit-maximizing) communication of client purchases. Strategic communication induces two equilibrium types: partial communication of purchase information or non-communication which exhibits a lemon effect (low-risk purchase no insurance). Nonetheless, Jaynes' configuration (Jaynes; Beaudry & Poitevin) allocating both risk-types a low-coverage pooling contract and high-risk supplementary expensive coverage always characterizes equilibrium including Perfect Bayesian Equilibrium in Hellwig's two-stage framework where inter-firm informational asymmetries impose additional "competitive" features. Adverse selection induces salient features of financial markets: Bertrand-Edgeworth competition, latent contracts, strategic exclusivity-policy cancellation tactics, market institutions for sharing information.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Yale University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 91.
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2011-07-21 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2011-07-21 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-CTA-2011-07-21 (Contract Theory & Applications)
- NEP-IAS-2011-07-21 (Insurance Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bisin, Alberto & Guaitoli, Danilo, 1998.
"Moral Hazard and Non-Exclusive Contracts,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1987, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Bisin & Danilo Guaitoli, 1998. "Moral hazard and non-exclusive contracts," Economics Working Papers 345, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Bisin, A. & Guaitoli, D., 1998. "Moral Hazard and Non-Exclusive Contracts," Working Papers 98-24, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Beaudry, Paul & Poitevin, Michel, 1995.
"Competitive Screening in Financial Markets When Borrowers Can Recontract,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(3), pages 401-23, July.
- Beaudry, P. & Poitevin, M., 1990. "Competitive Screening in Financial Market When Borrowers Can Recontract," Cahiers de recherche 9035, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Beaudry, P. & Poitevin, M., 1990. "Competitive Screening In Financial Market When Borrowers Can Recontract," Cahiers de recherche 9035, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Beaudry, Paul & Poitevin, Michel, 1993. "Signalling and Renegotiation in Contractual Relationships," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 745-82, July.
- Attar, Andrea & Chassagnon, Arnold, 2009.
"On moral hazard and nonexclusive contracts,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(9-10), pages 511-525, September.
- Laurence Ales & Pricila Maziero, 2009. "Adverse Selection and Non-Exclusive Contracts," GSIA Working Papers 2010-E61, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Hellwig, Martin F., 1988. "A note on the specification of interfirm communication in insurance markets with adverse selection," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 154-163, October.
- Seungjin Han, 2012.
"Implicit Collusion in Non-Exclusive Contracting under Adverse Selection,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2012-15, McMaster University, revised Apr 2013.
- Han, Seungjin, 2011. "Implicit Collusion in Non-Exclusive Contracting under Adverse Selection," Micro Theory Working Papers seungjin_han-2011-10, Microeconomics.ca Website, revised 02 Apr 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.