List Prices, Sale Prices, and Marketing Time: An Application to U.S. Housing Markets
AbstractMany goods are marketed after first stating a list price, with the expectation that the eventual sales price will differ. In this paper we first extend search theory to include the seller setting a list price. Holding constant the mean of the buyers’ distribution of potential offers for a good, we assume that the greater the list price, the slower the arrival rate of offers but the greater is the maximal offer. This tradeoff determines the optimal list price, which is set simultaneously with the seller’s reservation price. Comparative statics are derived through a set numerical sensitivity tests, where we show that the greater the variance of the distribution of buyers’ potential offers, the greater is the ratio of the list price to expected sales price. Thus, sellers of atypical goods will tend to set a relatively high list price compared with standard goods. We test this hypothesis using data from the Columbus, Ohio housing market and find substantial support. Other applications could include the market for fine art or autos.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics in its series Working Paper Series with number 2006-22.
Date of creation: Oct 2006
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Donald R. Haurin & Jessica L. Haurin & Taylor Nadauld & Anthony Sanders, 2010. "List Prices, Sale Prices and Marketing Time: An Application to U.S. Housing Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 38(4), pages 659-685, Winter.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knight, John R & Sirmans, C F & Turnbull, Geoffrey K, 1994.
"List Price Signaling and Buyer Behavior in the Housing Market,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 177-92, November.
- John R. Knight & C.F. Sirmans & Geoffrey K. Turnbull, 1994. "List price signaling and buyer behavior in the housing market," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, pages 177-195.
- de Wit, Erik R. & Englund, Peter & Francke, Marc K., 2013. "Price and transaction volume in the Dutch housing market," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 220-241.
- Erik R. de Wit & Bas van der Klaauw, 2010.
"Asymmetric Information and List Price Reductions in the Housing Market,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
10-038/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- de Wit, Erik R. & van der Klaauw, Bas, 2013. "Asymmetric information and list-price reductions in the housing market," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 507-520.
- de Wit, Erik & van der Klaauw, Bas, 2010. "Asymmetric Information and List Price Reductions in the Housing Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 7799, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eli Beracha & Michael Seiler, 2014. "The Effect of Listing Price Strategy on Transaction Selling Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 49(2), pages 237-255, August.
- Carrillo, Paul E. & Pope, Jaren C., 2012. "Are homes hot or cold potatoes? The distribution of marketing time in the housing market," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 189-197.
- Crocker H. Liu & Adam Nowak & Stuart Rosenthal, 2014. "Bubbles, Post-Crash Dynamics, and the Housing Market," Working Papers 14-18, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- Haurin, Donald & McGreal, Stanley & Adair, Alastair & Brown, Louise & Webb, James R., 2013. "List price and sales prices of residential properties during booms and busts," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-10.
- Rosane Hungria-Gunnelin, 2013. "Impact of Number of Bidders on Sale Price of Auctioned Condominium Apartments in Stockholm," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 16(3), pages 274-295.
- Jun Chen & Ronald Rutherford, 2012. "Quality & Time-on-the-Market in Residential Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 414-428, April.
- Diewert, W. Erwin & Nishimura , Kiyohiko & Shimizu, Chihiro & Watanabe, Tsutomu, 2014. "Residential Property Price Indexes for Japan: An Outline of the Japanese Official RPPI," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2014-17, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 27 Mar 2014.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.