Effective Foreign Aid, Economic Integration and Subsidiarity: Lessons from Europe
AbstractThis paper argues that the most important question regarding the efficacy of development assistance is not how much but rather for what. Economic integration and subsidiarity provides the conditions necessary for ODA to produce higher rates of economic growth on a sustained basis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNECE in its series ECE Discussion Papers Series with number 2007_2.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in UNECE Discussion Paper Series, No. 2007_2
foreign aid; economic integration; transition economies;
Other versions of this item:
- Abdur Chowdhury & Paolo Garonna, 2007. "Effective Foreign Aid, Economic Integration and Subsidiarity: Lessons from Europe," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0346, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Abdur Chowdhury & Paolo Garonna, 2008. "Effective Foreign Aid, Economic Integration and Subsidiarity: Lessons from Europe," UNECE Annual Report Economic Essays 2008_3, UNECE.
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- P27 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Performance and Prospects
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-11-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2007-11-10 (Development)
- NEP-TRA-2007-11-10 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2008.
"Aid and Growth: What Does the Cross-Country Evidence Really Show?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 643-665, November.
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005. "Aid and Growth: What Does The Cross-Country Evidence Really Show?," Working Papers id:54, eSocialSciences.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2005. "Aid and Growth: What Does the Cross-Country Evidence Really Show?," NBER Working Papers 11513, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lensink, Robert & White, Howard, 1999.
"Are there negative returns to aid?,"
99E60, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- C-J. Dalgaard & H. Hansen, 2001. "On Aid, Growth and Good Policies," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6), pages 17-41.
- David Dollar & Craig Burnside, 2000.
"Aid, Policies, and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 847-868, September.
- Levy, Victor, 1988. "Aid and growth in Sub-Saharan Africa: The recent experience," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1777-1795, November.
- Henrik Hansen & Finn Tarp, 2000. "Aid effectiveness disputed," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 375-398.
- Michael Clemens & Steven Radelet & Rikhil Bhavnani, 2004.
"Counting Chickens When They Hatch: The Short-term Effect of Aid on Growth,"
44, Center for Global Development.
- Michael A. Clemens & Steven Radelet & Rikhil Bhavnani, 2004. "Counting chickens when they hatch: The short-term effect of aid on growth," International Finance 0407010, EconWPA.
- Isham, Jonathan & Kaufmann, Daniel & Pritchett, Lant, 1995. "Governance and returns on investment : an empirical investigation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1550, The World Bank.
- Carl-Johan Dalgaard & Henrik Hansen & Finn Tarp, 2001.
"On the Empirics of Foreign Aid and Growth,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
03-13, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics, revised Sep 2003.
- Raghuram Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2005. "Aid and Growth," IMF Working Papers 05/127, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Shelburne).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.