Disclosure and determinants studies : an extension using the divisive clustering method (DIV)
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to introduce a divisive (descendant) clustering method which splits the sample into homogeneous sub-groups corresponding to disclosure patterns (or profiles), for clearer determination of the financial characteristics of each group. This methodology is illustrated by a study of disclosure on provisions by large French firms. The results show that the disclosure pattern is related to provision intensity, size, leverage, profit and maket expectation, but not to return and industry. This new research method is a valuable complement to expand on disclosure and determinants studies, moving from disclosure levels to disclosure patterns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HEC Paris in its series Les Cahiers de Recherche with number 798.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2004
Date of revision:
disclosure; determinants; provisions; France; size; clustering method;
Other versions of this item:
- Marie Chavent & Yuan Ding & Linghui Fu & Herve Stolowy & Huiwen Wang, 2006. "Disclosure and determinants studies: An extension using the Divisive Clustering Method (DIV)," European Accounting Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 181-218.
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-03 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eng, L. L. & Mak, Y. T., 2003. "Corporate governance and voluntary disclosure," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 325-345.
- Archambault, Jeffrey J. & Archambault, Marie E., 2003. "A multinational test of determinants of corporate disclosure," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 173-194.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Wallace, R. S. Olusegun & Naser, Kamal, 1995. "Firm-specific determinants of the comprehensiveness of mandatory disclosure in the corporate annual reports of firms listed on the stock exchange of Hong Kong," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 311-368.
- T. E. Cooke, 1998. "Regression Analysis in Accounting Disclosure Studies," Accounting and Business Research, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 28(3), pages 209-224, February.
- R.M. Haniffa & T. E. Cooke, 2002. "Culture, Corporate Governance and Disclosure in Malaysian Corporations," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 38(3), pages 317-349.
- Core, John E., 2001. "A review of the empirical disclosure literature: discussion," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 441-456, September.
- James Patton & Ivan Zelenka, 1997. "An empirical analysis of the determinants of the extent of disclosure in annual reports of joint stock companies in the Czech Republic," European Accounting Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 6(4), pages 605-626.
- Herve Stolowy & Michel Tenenhaus, 1998. "International accounting education in Western Europe," European Accounting Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 289-314.
- Jaggi, Bikki & Low, Pek Yee, 2000. "Impact of Culture, Market Forces, and Legal System on Financial Disclosures," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 495-519, 010.
- Bernard Raffournier, 1995. "The determinants of voluntary financial disclosure by Swiss listed companies," European Accounting Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 261-280.
- Christine A. Botosan, 2002. "A Re-examination of Disclosure Level and the Expected Cost of Equity Capital," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 21-40, 03.
- Pat Sucher & Peter Moizer & Marcela Zarova, 1999. "The images of the Big Six audit firms in the Czech Republic," European Accounting Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 499-521.
- Annalisa Prencipe, 2004. "Proprietary costs and determinants of voluntary segment disclosure: evidence from Italian listed companies," European Accounting Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 319-340.
- Chau, Gerald K. & Gray, Sidney J., 2002. "Ownership structure and corporate voluntary disclosure in Hong Kong and Singapore," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 247-265.
- Rob Gray & Mohammed Javad & David M. Power & C. Donald Sinclair, 2001. "Social and Environmental Disclosure and Corporate Characteristics: A Research Note and Extension," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(3-4), pages 327-356.
- Florence Depoers, 2000. "A cost benefit study of voluntary disclosure: some empirical evidence from French listed companies," European Accounting Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 245-263.
- Healy, Paul M. & Palepu, Krishna G., 2001. "Information asymmetry, corporate disclosure, and the capital markets: A review of the empirical disclosure literature," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 405-440, September.
- Chen, Charles J. P. & Jaggi, Bikki, 2000. "Association between independent non-executive directors, family control and financial disclosures in Hong Kong," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(4-5), pages 285-310.
- Greco, Giulio, 2012. "Governance codes and types of issuer. An empirical research on a global sample," MPRA Paper 37854, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bojan Đorđević & Mira Đorđević & Dragiša Stanujkić, 2012. "Investor Relations On The Internet: Analysis Of Companies On The Serbian Stock Market," Economic Annals, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade, vol. 57(193), pages 113-136, April- Ju.
- Corinne Bessieux-Ollier & Marie Chavent & Vanessa Kuentz & Elisabeth Walliser, 2012. "The mandatory adoption of IFRS on intangibles: upheaval or inertia? The case of France," International Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Performance Evaluation, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 8(1), pages 91-113.
- Adina Popa, 2008. "Trends in non-financial reporting," Analele Universitatii "Eftimie Murgu" Resita Fascicola de Inginerie, "Eftimie Murgu" University of Resita, vol. 1(XV), pages 353-360, December.
- Marc De Bourmont, 2012. "La résolution d'un problème de multicolinéarité au sein des études portant sur les déterminants d'une publication volontaire d'informations : proposition d'un algorithme de décision simplifié ," Post-Print hal-00691156, HAL.
- Eric Demolli & Dominique Dufour, 2007. "Divulgation Financiere Et Transition Aux Ias-Ifrs Contenu Et Determinants," Post-Print halshs-00544922, HAL.
- Ben Ali Chiraz, 2009. "Disclosure and minority expropriation: A study of French listed firms," Post-Print halshs-00460161, HAL.
- Giulio Greco, 2011. "Determinants of board and audit committee meeting frequency: Evidence from Italian companies," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(3), pages 208-229, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Dupouy).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.