A cost benefit study of voluntary disclosure: some empirical evidence from French listed companies
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to relate the extent of disclosure in the annual reports of French listed companies to some economic determinants. The sample includes the 1995 annual reports of 102 randomly selected industrial and commercial firms. The extent of disclosure is measured by an index based on financial and non-financial discretionary information. The model of hypothesis explaining voluntary disclosure is defined as the interplay of contradictory forces: inducements deriving principally from agency theory and limitations imposed by information costs. The results reveal that voluntary disclosure is significantly related to size, foreign activity and to a proxy for proprietary costs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal European Accounting Review.
Volume (Year): 9 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REAR20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard Raffournier, 1995. "The determinants of voluntary financial disclosure by Swiss listed companies," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 261-280.
- Smith, Clifford Jr. & Warner, Jerold B., 1979. "On financial contracting : An analysis of bond covenants," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 117-161, June.
- Verrecchia, Robert E., 1983. "Discretionary disclosure," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 179-194, April.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Pascal Frantz, 1997. "Information Disclosure to Employees and Rational Expectations: A Game-Theoretical Perspective," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(9&10), pages 1421-1431.
- Darrough, Masako N. & Stoughton, Neal M., 1990. "Financial disclosure policy in an entry game," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-3), pages 219-243, January.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Wagenhofer, Alfred, 1990. "Voluntary disclosure with a strategic opponent," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 341-363, March.
- Verrecchia, Robert E., 1990. "Information quality and discretionary disclosure," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 365-380, March.
- Marco Allegrini & Giulio Greco, 2013. "Corporate boards, audit committees and voluntary disclosure: evidence from Italian Listed Companies," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 187-216, February.
- Omaima Hassan & Claire Marston, 2010. "Disclosure measurement in the empirical accounting literature - a review article," Accountancy Discussion Papers 1004, Accountancy Research Group, Heriot Watt University.
- Timothy Fogarty & Garen Markarian & Antonio Parbonetti, 2006. "It's a Small World After All: The Convergence of Disclosure Practices Across Legal Regimes over Time," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0014, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Isabel-María García Sánchez & Luis Rodríguez Domínguez & Isabel Gallego Álvarez, 2011. "Corporate governance and strategic information on the internet: A study of Spanish listed companies," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 24(4), pages 471-501, May.
- DING, Yuan & STOLOWY, Hervé & FU, Linghui & WANG, Huiwen, 2004.
"Disclosure and determinants studies : an extension using the divisive clustering method (DIV),"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
798, HEC Paris.
- Marie Chavent & Yuan Ding & Linghui Fu & Herve Stolowy & Huiwen Wang, 2006. "Disclosure and determinants studies: An extension using the Divisive Clustering Method (DIV)," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 181-218.
- Abul Hassan & Sofyan Syafri Harahap, 2010. "Exploring corporate social responsibility disclosure: the case of Islamic banks," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 203-227, August.
- Ben Ali, Chiraz, 2005.
"Disclosure Quality and Corporate Governance: Evidence from the French Stock Market,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/2719, Paris Dauphine University.
- Chiraz Ben Ali, 2008. "Disclosure quality and corporate governance: Evidence from the French Stock Market," Post-Print halshs-00522350, HAL.
- Giulio Greco, 2011. "Determinants of board and audit committee meeting frequency: Evidence from Italian companies," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(3), pages 208-229, March.
- Corinne Bessieux-Ollier & Elisabeth Walliser, 2012. "Why firms listed on an unregulated financial market comply voluntarily with IFRS: An empirical analysis with French data," Post-Print hal-00690935, HAL.
- Herrera R. Edila E., 2013. "Factores que explican la extensión de revelación de activos intangibles de los bancos que cotizan en la Bolsa de Valores de Panamá," Contaduría y Administración:Revista Internacional, Accounting and Management: International Journal, vol. 58(3), pages 173-202, julio-sep.
- Emilio Passetti & Andrea Tenucci & Lino Cinquini & Marco Frey, 2008. "Communicating Intellectual Capital: Evidence from Social and Sustainability Reporting," Working Papers 200805, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna of Pisa, Istituto di Management.
- Andy Lardon & Marc Deloof, 2014. "Financial disclosure by SMEs listed on a semi-regulated market: evidence from the Euronext Free Market," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 361-385, February.
- Rute Gonçalves & Patrícia Lopes, 2014. "Accounting in Agriculture: Disclosure practices of listed firms," FEP Working Papers 530, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.