Improving regional performance in Russia: a capability-based approach
AbstractOver the past 15 years, while China’s economy has become more complex and export driven, Russia's economy has become less complex and less competitive. Economic policies have so far largely failed to boost two key drivers of economic development: knowledge and capability building. Building on a new Regional Capability Index as well as historical and case study analysis, we develop a set of scenarios and recommended models to address capability gaps and enhance the competitiveness of Russia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist in its series Working Papers with number 155.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Working papers 155, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Contact details of provider:
Postal: One Exchange Square, London EC2A 2JN
Web page: http://www.ebrd.com/pages/research/publications/workingpapers.shtml
More information through EDIRC
regional development; competitiveness; product space; innovation; Russia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2013-03-02 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-CSE-2013-03-02 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-GEO-2013-03-02 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-HIS-2013-03-02 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-TRA-2013-03-02 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balassa, Bela, 1986. "Comparative Advantage in Manufactured Goods: A Reappraisal," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 315-19, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Lucas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.