Technological and geographical proximity effects on knowledge spillovers: evidence from us patent citations
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to investigate the pattern of knowledge flows as indicated by patent citations. In order to compute the technological proximity, we have followed the methodology developed by Jaffe (1986), where a technological vector is based on the distribution of patents of each firm across technology classes. As far as the geographic proximity is concerned, we have used the latitude and the longitude coordinates of the city in which each firm is located. The empirical results suggest that the effects of proximity variables on knowledge flows are rather differentiated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series DULBEA Working Papers with number 08-18.RS.
Date of creation: Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by: ULB, DULBEA
Innovation; Knowledge Spillovers; Technology Transfer; Patent Citations.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-09-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2008-09-20 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-GEO-2008-09-20 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INO-2008-09-20 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2008-09-20 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-KNM-2008-09-20 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-TID-2008-09-20 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
- NEP-URE-2008-09-20 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aldieri, Luigi, 2011. "Knowledge spillovers and productivity in Italian manufacturing firms," MPRA Paper 35018, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Oscar Bernal Diaz & Kim Oosterlinck & Ariane Szafarz, 2009.
"Observing bailout expectations during a total eclipse of the sun,"
DULBEA Working Papers
09-01.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bernal, Oscar & Oosterlinck, Kim & Szafarz, Ariane, 2010. "Observing bailout expectations during a total eclipse of the sun," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1193-1205, November.
- Oscar Bernal Diaz & Kim Oosterlinck & Ariane Szafarz, 2008. "Observing bailout expectations during a total eclipse of the sun," Working Papers CEB 08-015.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Ariane Szafarz, 2008.
"Labour market discrimination as an agency cost,"
Working Papers CEB
08-019.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Charles Plaigin, 2009. "Exploratory study on the presence of cultural and institutional growth spillovers," DULBEA Working Papers 09-03.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.