Outward FDI and Domestic Investment
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of outward foreign direct investment (OFDI) on domestic investment by applying co-integration techniques to macroeconomic time series data for the United Sates and Germany. We show that the two countries differ: In the case of the US, OFDI has positive long-run effects on domestic investment while in the case of Germany the reverse effect is reported.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research in its series Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin with number 679.
Length: 14 p.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Foreign Direct Investment; Investment; Open Economy Macroeconomics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phillips, Peter C B & Loretan, Mico, 1991.
"Estimating Long-run Economic Equilibria,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 407-36, May.
- Guy V.G. Stevens & Robert E. Lipsey, 1988.
"Interactions between domestic and foreign investment,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
329, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Stevens, Guy V. G. & Lipsey, Robert E., 1992. "Interactions between domestic and foreign investment," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 40-62, February.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Guy V.G. Stevens, 1988. "Interactions between Domestic and Foreign Investment," NBER Working Papers 2714, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein, 1994.
"The Effects of Outbound Foreign Direct Investment on the Domestic Capital Stock,"
NBER Working Papers
4668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin S. Feldstein, 1995. "The Effects of Outbound Foreign Direct Investment on the Domestic Capital Stock," NBER Chapters, in: The Effects of Taxation on Multinational Corporations, pages 43-66 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Belderbos, R.A., 1992.
"Large Multnational Enterprises Based in a Small Economy: Effects on Domestic Investment,"
9115-g, Erasmus University of Rotterdam - Institute for Economic Research.
- René Belderbos, 1992. "Large multinational enterprises based in a small economy: Effects on domestic investment," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 128(3), pages 543-557, September.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Some recent development in a concept of causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 199-211.
- Mihir C. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines Jr., 2005.
"Foreign Direct Investment and the Domestic Capital Stock,"
NBER Working Papers
11075, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines Jr., 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Domestic Capital Stock," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 33-38, May.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- goh, sookhoon, 2012. "Could inward FDI offset the substitution effect of outward FDI on domestic investment? evidence from Malaysia," MPRA Paper 43237, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ali J Al-sadiq, 2013. "Outward Foreign Direct Investment and Domestic Investment," IMF Working Papers 13/52, International Monetary Fund.
- Di Iorio, Francesca & Fachin, Stefano, 2012.
"A note on the estimation of long-run relationships in panel equations with cross-section linkages,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2012-1, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Di Iorio, Francesca & Fachin, Stefano, 2012. "A note on the estimation of long-run relationships in panel equations with cross-section linkages," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(20), pages 1-18.
- Wen-Chung Hsu & Xingbo Gao & Jianhua Zhang & Hsin Mei Lin, 2011. "The effects of outward FDI on home-country productivity: Do location of investment and market orientation matter?," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(2), pages 99-116, June.
- Arndt Christian & Buch Claudia M & Schnitzer Monika E, 2010.
"FDI and Domestic Investment: An Industry-Level View,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-22, July.
- Arndt, Christian & Buch, Claudia M. & Schnitzer, Monika, 2010. "FDI and Domestic Investment: An Industry-Level View," Munich Reprints in Economics 20186, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Arndt, Christian & Buch, Claudia M. & Schnitzer, Monika, 2007. "FDI and Domestic Investment: An Industry-Level View," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 212, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Arndt, Christian & Buch, Claudia M. & Schnitzer, Monika, 2007. "FDI and Domestic Investment: An Industry-Level View," CEPR Discussion Papers 6464, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.