Empiricism Meets Theory: Is the Boone-Indicator Applicable?
AbstractBoone (2008a) proposes a new competition measure based on Relative Profit Differences (RPD) with superior theoretical properties. However, the empirical applicability and robust-ness of the Boone-Indicator is still unknown. This paper aims to address that question. Using a rich, newly built, data set for German manufacturing enterprises, we test the empirical valid-ity of the Boone-Indicator using cartel cases. Our analysis reveals that the traditional regres-sion approach of the indicator fails to correctly indicate competition. A proposed augmented indicator based on RPDs performs better. The traditional Lerner-Index is still the only meas-ure that correctly indicates the expected competitive changes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research in its series Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin with number 1030.
Length: 28 p.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Competition; Boone-Indicator; Cartels; Census Data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L12 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Monopoly; Monopolization Strategies
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2010-07-24 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-REG-2010-07-24 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blundell, Richard & Griffith, Rachel & van Reenen, John, 1999. "Market Share, Market Value and Innovation in a Panel of British Manufacturing Firms," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(3), pages 529-54, July.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Anca Pruteanu-Podpiera & Laurent Weill & Franziska Schobert, 2007. "Market Power and Efficiency in the Czech Banking Sector," Working Papers 2007/6, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Amador, João & Soares, Ana Cristina, 2013.
"Competition in the Portuguese economy: insights from a profit elasticity approach,"
Working Paper Series
1603, European Central Bank.
- João Amador & Ana Cristina Soares, 2012. "Competition in the Portuguese Economy: Insights from a profit elasticity approach," Working Papers w201217, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- João Amador & Ana Cristina Soares, 2012. "Measuring competition in the Portuguese economy using profit elasticities," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Brissimis, Sophocles & Delis, Mannthos & Iosifidi, Maria, 2012. "Bank market power and monetary policy transmission," MPRA Paper 49206, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Doan, Tinh, 2011.
"Evolution of competition in Vietnam industries over the recent economic transition,"
34254, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Doan, Tinh & Stevens, Philip, 2012. "Evolution of competition in Vietnam industries over the recent economic transition," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(19), pages 1-24.
- Doan, Tinh, 2012. "Evolution of competition in Vietnam industries over the recent economic transition," Economics Discussion Papers 2012-12, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Phil Molyneux & Hong Liu & John O.S. Wilson, 2010. "Measuring Competition and Stability: Recent Evidence for European Banking," Working Papers 10020, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Preißler-Jebe, Jan Hendrik & von Blanckenburg, Korbinian & Geist, Alexander, 2010.
"Comparing cartel behavior: A simulation analysis with the System of Cartel Markers (SCM),"
CAWM Discussion Papers
41, Center of Applied Economic Research Münster (CAWM), University of Münster.
- Jan Hendrik Preißler-Jebe, Korbinian von Blanckenburg, Alexander Geist, . "Comparing Cartel Behavior: A Simulation Analysis with the System of Cartel Markers (SCM)," Working Papers 201041, Institute of Spatial and Housing Economics, Munster Universitary.
- Delis, Manthos D & Kokas, Sotiris, 2014.
"Foreign ownership and market power in banking: Evidence from a world sample,"
53957, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Manthos D. Delis & Sotirios Kokas & Steven Ongena, 2014. "Foreign ownership and market power in banking: Evidence from a world sample," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 03-2014, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Olszak, Małgorzata & Świtała, Filip & Kowalska, Iwona, 2013. "Competition in commercial banks in Poland – analysis of Panzar-Rosse H-statistics," MPRA Paper 53782, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Koski, Heli & Pajarinen, Mika, 2013. "Empirical Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Competition Policy," ETLA Working Papers 15, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.