Evolution of competition in Vietnam industries over the recent economic transition
AbstractUnderstanding the degree and evolution of competition across industries is an important step towards understanding the impact of economic reform and competition on economic growth in Vietnam during the economic transition. In this paper, the author investigates the evolution of competition in Vietnam during the economic transition using the price-cost margin (PCM) or mark-up that has been widely applied in the economic literature and the profit elasticity (PE) recently developed by Boone in his paper Competition (2000). This paper provides the first empirical study of intensity and evolution of competition across selected industries in Vietnam in the last decade using firm-level data from the Vietnam Enterprise Census (VEC) conducted annually since 2000 by the Vietnam General Statistical Office (GSO). --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Economics Discussion Papers with number 2012-12.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Competition; industry; economic transition; Vietnam;
Other versions of this item:
- Doan, Tinh & Stevens, Philip, 2012. "Evolution of competition in Vietnam industries over the recent economic transition," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(19), pages 1-24.
- Doan, Tinh, 2011. "Evolution of competition in Vietnam industries over the recent economic transition," MPRA Paper 34254, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- L5 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- P20 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - General
- P30 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2012-02-20 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HME-2012-02-20 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-TRA-2012-02-20 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Horst Raff & Joachim Wagner, 2009.
"Intra-Industry Adjustment to Import Competition: Theory and Application to the German Clothing Industry,"
Kiel Working Papers
1557, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Horst Raff & Joachim Wagner, 2010. "Intra-industry Adjustment to Import Competition: Theory and Application to the German Clothing Industry," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(8), pages 1006-1022, 08.
- Horst Raff & Joachim Wagner, 2009. "Intra-Industry Adjustment to Import Competition: Theory and Application to the German Clothing Industry," CESifo Working Paper Series 2851, CESifo Group Munich.
- Raff, Horst & Wagner, Joachim, 2009. "Intra-Industry Adjustment to Import Competition: Theory and Application to the German Clothing Industry," IZA Discussion Papers 4434, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Horst Raff & Joachim Wagner, 2009. "Intra-Industry Adjustment to Import Competition: Theory and Application to the German Clothing Industry," Working Paper Series in Economics 144, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Stephen Nickell, 1993.
"Competition and Corporate Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0182, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Blundell, Richard & Griffith, Rachel & van Reenen, John, 1999. "Market Share, Market Value and Innovation in a Panel of British Manufacturing Firms," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(3), pages 529-54, July.
- Boone, Jan, 2004.
"A New Way to Measure Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4330, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wendy Carlin & Steven Fries & Mark Schaffer & Paul Seabright, 2001.
"Competition and enterprise performance in transition economies: evidence from a cross-country survey,"
63, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Wendy Carlin & Steven Fries & Mark Schaffer & Paul Seabright, 2001. "Competition and Enterprise Performance in Transition Economies: Evidence from a Cross-country Survey," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 376, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Carlin, Wendy & Fries, Steven & Schaffer, Mark E & Seabright, Paul, 2001. "Competition and Enterprise Performance in Transition Economies: Evidence from a Cross-country Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers 2840, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rabah Amir, .
"Market Structure, Scale Economies and Industry Performance,"
CIE Discussion Papers
2000-03, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Rabah Amir, 2000. "Market Structure, Scale Economies and Industry Performance," Discussion Papers 00-08, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Rahab Amir, 2000. "Market Structure, Scale Economies, and Industry Performance," CIG Working Papers FS IV 00-08, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- AMIR, Rabah, 2003. "Market structure, scale economies and industry performance," CORE Discussion Papers 2003065, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Harold Creusen & Bert Minne & Henry van der Wiel, 2006. "Competition in the Netherlands; an analysis of the period 1993-2001," CPB Document 136, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Chen, Natalie & Imbs, Jean & Scott, Andrew, 2009.
"The dynamics of trade and competition,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 50-62, February.
- Athey, Susan & Schmutzler, Armin, 2001. "Investment and Market Dominance," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(1), pages 1-26, Spring.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Silvia Fabiani & Enrico Sette, 2010. "The pro-competitive effect of imports from China: an analysis of firm-level price data," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 737, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- George J. Stigler, 1957. "Perfect Competition, Historically Contemplated," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 1.
- Boone, J., 2000.
2000-104, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ian Domowitz & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986. "Business Cycles and the Relationship Between Concentration and Price-Cost Margins," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 1-17, Spring.
- Jozef Konings & Patrick Van Cayseele & Frederic Warzynski, 2003. "The Effects Of Privatization And International Competitive Pressure On Firms’ Price-Cost Margins: Micro Evidence From Emerging Economies1," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-603, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Rosenthal, Robert W, 1980. "A Model in Which an Increase in the Number of Sellers Leads to a Higher Price," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(6), pages 1575-79, September.
- Doan, Tinh & Gibson, John, 2010. "Return to schooling in Vietnam during economic transition: Does the return reach its peak?," MPRA Paper 24984, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 19 Oct 2010.
- Hakkala, Katariina & Kokko , Ari, 2007. "The State And The Private Sector In Vietnam," EIJS Working Paper Series 236, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Alexander Schiersch & Jens Schmidt-Ehmcke, 2010. "Empiricism Meets Theory: Is the Boone-Indicator Applicable?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1030, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.