Private Information and the Design of Securities
AbstractOne often quoted reason for the incompleteness of financial markets is the fact that an informational asymmetry prevents entrepreneurs to float their company on the market. In fact, the privileged information that the owners have on their firms discourages rational financial investors and thins the market. The paper studies the validity of this argument in a model similar to Grossman-Stiglitz (1980). An entrepreneur who contemplates issuing a new security faces a trade-off between speculative gains, which arise from his privileged information, and an insurance motive, associated with the insurance provided by the stock market. We study the terms of this arbitrage as a function of the fundamentals of the economy: aggregate risk, risk tolerance, precision of the privileged information.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure) in its series DELTA Working Papers with number 92-22.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 1992
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Economic Theory, 1995, 65, pp. 233-257
financial market ; risk ; information;
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kawamura, Enrique, 2004.
"Investors's distrust and the marketing of new financial assets,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 265-295, May.
- Enrique L. Kawamura, 2000. "Investor´s Distrust and the Marketing of New Financial Assets," Working Papers 23, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Apr 2004.
- Atsushi Kajii & Chiaki Hara, 2003.
"On the Range of the Risk-Free Interest Rate in Incomplete Markets,"
666156000000000383, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Kajii, A. & Hara, C., 2000. "On the Range of the Risk-Free Interest Rate in Incomplete Markets," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0030, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Chiaki Hara & Atsushi Kajii, 2003. "On the Range of the Risk-Free Interest Rate in Incomplete Markets," KIER Working Papers 577, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Diego García & Branko Urosevic, 2004. "Noise and aggregation of information in large markets," Economics Working Papers 785, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1998.
"Social Security and Institutions for Intergenerational, Intragenerational and International Risk Sharing,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1185, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Shiller, Robert J., 1999. "Social security and institutions for intergenerational, intragenerational, and international risk-sharing," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 165-204, June.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1998. "Social Security and Institutions for Intergenerational, Intragenerational, and International Risk Sharing," NBER Working Papers 6641, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1998. "Social Security and Institutions for Intergenerational, Intragenerational, and International Risk Sharing," JCPR Working Papers 43, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- Han N. Ozsoylev, 2005.
"Amplification and Asymmetry in Crashes and Frenzies,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2005fe11, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Han Ozsoylev, 2008. "Amplification and asymmetry in crashes and frenzies," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 157-181, March.
- Han N. Ozsoylev, 2005. "Amplification and Asymmetry in Crashes and Frenzies," Economics Series Working Papers 2005-FE-11, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Faias, Marta, 2004. "General equilibrium and endogenous creation of asset markets," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp454, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.