On The Future Contract Quality Option: A New Look
AbstractThe paper provide a new method to replicate and price the quality options usually embedded in many future contracts. The replicating strategies may draw on both the future contract and its related calls and puts. They also yield the quality option theoretical price in perfect markets, as well as upper and lower bounds for its bid or ask prices if frictions are incorporated. With respect to previous literature, this new approach seems to reflect four contributions: Firstly, the analysis does not depend on any dynamic assumption concerning the TSIR behaviour, secondly, it incorporates the information contained in calls and puts whose underlying security is the future contract, thirdly, it allows us to use real market perfectly synchronized prices, and fourthly, transaction costs can be considered. The paper presents an empirical test involving the German market that reveals some differences with regard to previous studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa in its series Business Economics Working Papers with number wb063711.
Date of creation: May 2006
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merrick, John Jr & Naik, Narayan Y. & Yadav, Pradeep K., 2005. "Strategic trading behavior and price distortion in a manipulated market: anatomy of a squeeze," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 171-218, July.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Ritchken, Peter & Sankarasubramanian, L, 1995. "A Multifactor Model of the Quality Option in Treasury Futures Contracts," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 18(3), pages 261-79, Fall.
- Kamara, Avraham, 1990. "Delivery Uncertainty and the Efficiency of Futures Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(01), pages 45-64, March.
- Bing-Huei Lin & Ren-Raw Chen & Jian-Hsin Chou, 1999. "Pricing and quality option in Japanese government bond futures," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 51-65.
- Peter Ritchken & L. Sankarasubramanian, 1992. "Pricing the Quality Option In Treasury Bond Futures," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 197-214.
- Boyle, Phelim P, 1989. " The Quality Option and Timing Option in Futures Contracts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 101-13, March.
- Hegde, Shantaram P., 1988. "An empirical analysis of implicit delivery options in the treasury bond futures contract," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 469-492, September.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Margrabe, William, 1978. "The Value of an Option to Exchange One Asset for Another," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 177-86, March.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Hemler, Michael L, 1990. " The Quality Delivery Option in Treasury Bond Futures Contracts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(5), pages 1565-86, December.
- Gay, Gerald D. & Manaster, Steven, 1984. "The quality option implicit in futures contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 353-370, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.