Use and Perception of the Internet as a Marketing Tool to Promote Rural Tourism
AbstractBusinesses and communities in rural areas face increased challenges to compete in the globalized tourism market. Rural areas and small communities often have rich endogenous natural resources, which may appeal to a stressed urban public, however, simply possessing these attributes is not sufficient, the must be communicated and promoted to the right people. The purpose of this study is to explore the use of Internet and online marketing tools to improve the competitiveness of small-scale rural tourism companies. The paper presents an overview of the perception, knowledge and use of Internet as a marketing toll by small-scaled rural tourism companies located in Portugal centre region and discusses the challenges and motivations involved in promoting rural tourism in a globalized market. A sample of small-scaled rural tourism companies was inquired about their attitudes toward the use of Internet marketing tools. The results show that Rural Tourism companies have limited knowledge of web marketing tools potential to support the rural tourism and highlight the need to increase the use of Internet as a marketing tool to globally communicate, promote and positioning rural tourism in order to leverage resources and create sustainability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade da Beira Interior, Departamento de Gestão e Economia (Portugal) in its series Working Papers de Gestão, Economia e Marketing (Management, Economics and Marketing Working Papers) with number td05_2010.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Rural tourism; SMEs; Internet; Marketing; e-Commerce;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-05-29 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2010-05-29 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ICT-2010-05-29 (Information & Communication Technologies)
- NEP-MKT-2010-05-29 (Marketing)
- NEP-TUR-2010-05-29 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, Aaron D. & Goe, W. Richard & Kemey, Martin & Morrison Paul, Catherine J., 2004.
"Computer and Internet Use by Great Plains Farmers,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(03), December.
- Jesús Fernando Lampón Caride & Ana Isabel Martínez Senra, 2005. "Marketing en Internet: el sector vitivinícola gallego," Revista de Estudios Regionales, Universidades Públicas de Andalucía, vol. 2, pages 107-129.
- Martinho, Vítor João Pereira Domingues, 2013. "Tourism in the Portuguese Rural Areas," EconStor Preprints 71761, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carla Loureiro).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.