Computer and Internet Use by Great Plains Farmers
AbstractWe use data from a 2001 survey of Great Plains farmers to explore the adoption, usage patterns, and perceived benefits of computers and the Internet. Our adoption results suggest that exposure to the technology through college, outside employment, friends, and family is ultimately more influential than farmer age and farm size. Notably, about half of those who use the Internet for farm-related business report zero economic benefits from it. Whether a farmer perceives that the Internet generates economic benefits depends primarily on how long the farmer has used the Internet for farm business and for what purposes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics in its series Working Papers with number 11947.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Farm Management; Research and Development/Tech Change/Emerging Technologies;
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Hoag, Dana L. & Ascough, James C. & Frasier, W. Marshall, 1999. "Farm Computer Adoption In The Great Plains," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(01), April.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F. & Trajtenberg, M., 1995.
"General purpose technologies 'Engines of growth'?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 83-108, January.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1987. "Regression-based specification tests for the multinomial logit model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 63-82.
- Amponsah, William A., 1995. "Computer Adoption And Use Of Information Services By North Carolina Commercial Farmers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- McFadden, Daniel L., 1984. "Econometric analysis of qualitative response models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 24, pages 1395-1457 Elsevier.
- Paulo Duarte & Ana Rita Pais, 2010. "Use and Perception of the Internet as a Marketing Tool to Promote Rural Tourism," Working Papers de GestÃ£o, Economia e Marketing (Management, Economics and Marketing Working Papers) td05_2010, Universidade da Beira Interior, Departamento de Gestão e Economia (Portugal).
- Sauer, Johannes & Zilberman, David D., 2009. "Innovation behaviour at micro level - selection and identification," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt6t49r0fh, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Baer, Alexander G. & Brown, Cheryl, 2006. "Adoption of E-Marketing by Direct Market Farms in the Northeastern U.S," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21320, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Briggeman, Brian C. & Whitacre, Brian E., 2010. "Farming and the Internet: Reasons for Non-Use," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 39(3), October.
- Arens, Ludwig & Plumeyer, Cord-Herwig & Theuvsen, Ludwig, 2011. "Akzeptanz von Informationssystemen durch Schweinemäster: Eine Kausalanalyse," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114482, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- El-Osta, Hisham S., 2011. "The Impact of Human Capital on Farm Operator Household Income," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 40(1), April.
- Baer, Alexander G. & Brown, Cheryl, 2007. "Adoption of E-Marketing by Direct-Market Farms in the Northeastern United States," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 38(2), July.
- Sauer, Johannes & Zilberman, David, 2009.
"Innovation Behaviour At Farm Level – Selection And Identification,"
83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland
51073, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Sauer, Johannes & Zilberman, David, 2009. "Innovation behaviour at farm level: Selection and identification," 49th Annual Conference, Kiel, Germany, September 30-October 2, 2009 53276, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Sauer, Johannes & Zilberman, David, 2010. "Innovation Behaviour At Farm Level – Selection And Identification," 114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany 61354, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Briggeman, Brian C. & Whitacre, Brian E., 2008. "Farming and the Internet: Factors Affecting Input Purchases Online and Reasons for Non-Adoption," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6871, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.