Short-Selling Bans around the World: Evidence from the 2007-09 Crisis
AbstractMost stock exchange regulators around the world reacted to the 2007-2009 crisis by imposing bans or regulatory constraints on short-selling. Short-selling restrictions were imposed and lifted at different dates in different countries, often applied to different sets of stocks and featured different degrees of stringency. We exploit this considerable variation in short-sales regimes to identify their effects with panel data techniques, and find that bans (i) were detrimental for liquidity, especially for stocks with small market capitalization, high volatility and no listed options; (ii) slowed down price discovery, especially in bear market phases, and (iii) failed to support stock prices, except possibly for U.S. financial stocks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 7557.
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Alessandro Beber & Marco Pagano, 2013. "Short-Selling Bans Around the World: Evidence from the 2007–09 Crisis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 68(1), pages 343-381, 02.
- Alessandro Beber & Marco Pagano, 2009. "Short-Selling Bans around the World: Evidence from the 2007-09 Crisis," CSEF Working Papers 241, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 03 Sep 2011.
- Alessandro Beber & Marco Pagano, 2010. "Short-Selling Bans around the World: Evidence from the 2007-09 Crisis," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-106/2/DSF 1, Tinbergen Institute.
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Halling, Michael & Pagano, Marco & Randl, Otto & Zechner, Josef, 2005. "Where is the Market? Evidence from Cross-Listings," CEPR Discussion Papers 4987, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lasse Heje Pederson & Markus K Brunnermeier, 2007.
"Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp580, Financial Markets Group.
- Brunnermeier, Markus K & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 6179, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 12939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Saffi, Pedro & Sigurdson, Kari, 2008.
"Price efficiency and short selling,"
IESE Research Papers
D/748, IESE Business School.
- Seraina GRUENEWALD & Alexander F. WAGNER & Rolf H. WEBER, . "Short Selling Regulation after the Financial Crisis – First Principles Revisited," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 09-28, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Michael Halling & Marco Pagano & Otto Randl & Josef Zechner, 2004. "Where is the Market? Evidence from Cross-Listings in the U.S," CSEF Working Papers 129, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Dec 2006.
- David Easley & Soeren Hvidkjaer & Maureen O'Hara, 2002. "Is Information Risk a Determinant of Asset Returns?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2185-2221, October.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Interesting readings
by Ajay Shah in Ajay Shah's blog on 2009-11-20 20:47:00
- Interesting Readings for November 23, 2009
by Ajay Shah in Citizen Economists on 2009-11-23 15:32:02
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Martin Oehmke, 2013. "Predatory Short Selling," NBER Working Papers 19514, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert A. Jarrow & Martin Larsson, 2014. "Informational Efficiency under Short Sale Constraints," Papers 1401.1851, arXiv.org.
- Anufriev, M. & Tuinstra, J., 2013.
"The impact of short-selling constraints on financial market stability in a heterogeneous agents model,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
13-01, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Anufriev, Mikhail & Tuinstra, Jan, 2013. "The impact of short-selling constraints on financial market stability in a heterogeneous agents model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1523-1543.
- Mikhail Anufriev & Jan Tuinstra, 2013. "The Impact of Short-Selling Constraints on Financial Market Stability in a Heterogeneous Agents Model," Working Paper Series 3, Economics Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Sascha Füllbrunn & Tibor Neugebauer, 2012. "Margin Trading Bans in Experimental Asset Markets," Jena Economic Research Papers 2012-058, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Bernal, Oscar & Herinckx, Astrid & Szafarz, Ariane, 2014.
"Which short-selling regulation is the least damaging to market efficiency? Evidence from Europe,"
International Review of Law and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 244-256.
- Astrid Herinckx & Ariane Szafarz, 2012. "Which Short-Selling Regulation is the Least Damaging to Market Efficiency? Evidence from Europe," Working Papers CEB 12-002, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Oscar Bernal Diaz & Astrid Herinckx & Ariane Szafarz, 2013. "Which Short-Selling Regulation is the Least Damaging to Market Efficiency? Evidence from Europe," Working Papers CEB 13-001, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- René M. Stulz & Dimitrios Vagias & Mathijs A. van Dijk, 2013.
"Do Firms Issue more equity when markets are more liquid?,"
NBER Working Papers
19229, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stulz, Rene M. & Vagias, Dimitrios & Van Dijk, Mathijs A., 2013. "Do Firms Issue More Equity When Markets Are More Liquid?," Working Paper Series 2013-10, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Rodrigo De-Losso & Alan De Genaro, Bruno C. Giovannetti, 2012. "Testing the Effects of Short-Selling Restrictions on Asset Prices," Working Papers, Department of Economics 2012_18, University of São Paulo (FEA-USP).
- Robert Battalio & Hamid Mehran & Paul Schultz, 2011. "Market declines: Is banning short selling the solution?," Staff Reports 518, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Warren Bailey & Lin Zheng, 2013. "Banks, Bears, and the Financial Crisis," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 1-51, August.
- Lensberg, Terje & Schenk-Hoppé, Klaus Reiner & Ladley, Dan, 2012. "Costs and Benefits of Speculation," Discussion Papers 2012/12, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Amelia Pais & Philip A. Stork, 2013. "Short-Selling, Leverage and Systemic Risk," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-186/IV/DSF68, Tinbergen Institute.
- Robert Battalio & Hamid Mehran & Paul Schultz, 2012. "Market declines: what is accomplished by banning short-selling?," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 18(Aug).
- Bai, Min & Qin, Yafeng, 2014. "Short-sales constraints and liquidity change: Cross-sectional evidence from the Hong Kong Market," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 98-122.
- Óscar Arce & Sergio Mayordomo, 2012. "Short Sales Constraints and Financial Stability: Evidence from the Spanish 2011 Ban," Faculty Working Papers 25/12, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Félix, Luiz & Kräussl, Roman & Stork, Philip, 2013. "The 2011 European short sale ban on financial stocks: A cure or a curse?," CFS Working Paper Series 2013/17, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.