Against 'Gender-based taxation'
AbstractThis paper criticizes the Alesina and Ichino (2007) proposal of taxing men more than women. First, the proposal is outright sex discrimination. Second, it cannot be Pareto-improving. Third, its virtues in terms of efficiency are better obtained by gender-neutral voluntary schemes for taxing households. Fourth, the tax would further undermine marriage.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 6582.
Date of creation: Dec 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H2 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- J2 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor
- J3 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs
- J7 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-12-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-PBE-2007-12-19 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2007-12-19 (Public Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- de la Rica, Sara & Dolado, Juan J. & García-Peñalosa, Cecilia, 2008.
"On Gender Gaps and Self-fulfilling Expectations: Theory, Policies and Some Empirical Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6883, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de la Rica, Sara & Dolado, Juan José & García-Peñalosa, Cecilia, 2008. "On Gender Gaps and Self-fulfilling Expectations: Theory, Policies and Some Empirical Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 3553, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sara de la Rica & Juan José Dolado & Cecilia García-Peñalosa, 2008. "On gender gaps and self-fulfilling expectations: Theory, policies and some empirical evidence," Working Papers 2008-24, FEDEA.
- Gersbach, Hans & Hahn, Volker & Imhof, Stephan, 2010.
CEPR Discussion Papers
7831, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.