Reflections on the Fiscal Implications of a Common Currency
AbstractThis paper studies the likely consequences of monetary unification among the EC members for the conduct of fiscal policy in the EC countries (and by an emerging Federal European Fiscal Authority). Among the conclusions are the following. If the Eurofed is to be independent, the external exchange rate policy of the EC should be assigned to the Eurofed and not to the fiscal authorities. Effective (as opposed to formal) independence of the Eurofed is going to be very difficult to achieve. Coordinated upper ceilings on national public sector financial deficits are unnecessary and probably undesirable. Coordination of national public expenditure policies, tax policies and borrowing policies is in principle desirable for both efficiency and distributional reasons. The empirical models required for a serious welfare analysis of fiscal policy coordination do not yet exi.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 418.
Date of creation: May 1990
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995.
"Designing fiscal and monetary institutions for a European Monetary Union,"
1995-58, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beetsma, Roel M W J & Bovenberg, A Lans, 2000. " Designing Fiscal and Monetary Institutions for a European Monetary Union," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 102(3-4), pages 247-69, March.
- Beetsma,Roel M.W.J. & Bovenberg,A. Lans, 1996. "Designing fiscal and monetary institutions for a European Monetary Union," Research Memoranda 004, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Beetsma, Roel & Bovenberg, A Lans, 1995. "Designing Fiscal and Monetary Institutions for a European Monetary Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 1303, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- W.H. Buiter, 1999.
"Alice in Euroland,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0423, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Buiter, Willem H & Grafe, Clemens, 2002. "Patching up the Pact: some Suggestions for Enhancing Fiscal Sustainability and Macroeconomic Stability in an Enlarged European Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 3496, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Artis & Massimiliano Marcellino, .
"Fiscal Solvency and Fiscal Forecasting in Europe,"
142, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Artis, M. & Marcellino, M., 1998. "Fiscal Solvency and Fiscal Forecasting in Europe," Economics Working Papers eco98/2, European University Institute.
- Artis, Michael J & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 1998. "Fiscal Solvency and Fiscal Forecasting in Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1836, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beetsma,Roel M.W.J., 1996.
"The Interaction of Fiscal and Monetary Policy in a Monetary Union: Balancing Credibility and Flexibility,"
005, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "The Interaction of Fiscal and Monetary Policy in a Monetary Union: Balancing Credibility and Flexibility," DELTA Working Papers 95-24, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "The interaction of fiscal and monetary policy in a monetary union: Balancing credibility and flexibility," Discussion Paper 1995-101, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Detken, Carsten, 1999. "Fiscal policy effectiveness and neutrality results in a non-Ricardian world," Working Paper Series 0003, European Central Bank.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 2001. "What problems can dollarization solve?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 267-277, April.
- Jérôme Creel, 1999.
"The stability pact and feedback policy effects,"
Sciences Po publications
NÂ°99-02, Sciences Po.
- Patricia S. Pollard, 1993. "Macroeconomic policy effects in a monetary union," Working Papers 1993-001, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Robert Holzmann & Yves Hervé & Roland Demmel, 1996. "The maastricht fiscal criteria: Required but ineffective?," Empirica, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 25-58, February.
- Michel Aglietta & Merih Uctum, 1995. "Fiscal consolidation in Europe," Research Paper 9519, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.