Fiscal policy effectiveness and neutrality results in a non-Ricardian world
AbstractThe paper introduces monetary and fiscal regimes into a Blanchard-Weil overlapping generations model. Contrary to intuition, it is shown that fiscal policy becomes more effective, the less the central bank monetises government debt. Furthermore, there is a degree of debt monetisation at which Ricardian equivalence seems to hold in this 'non-Ricardian' model, as fiscal policy is neutral with respect to agent's net wealth. At the origin of these results are the opposite intergenerational wealth effects of money and debt financing. Since, on average, central bank independence increased through EMU, the analysis suggests that fiscal policy might have become a more powerful instrument for euro-area countries. It is further argued that given the Stability and Growth Pact, governments will find it wise to run budget positions 'close to balance or in surplus' in order to maintain the increased fiscal policy effectiveness. JEL Classification: E63
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 0003.
Date of creation: May 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weil, Philippe, 1989. "Overlapping families of infinitely-lived agents," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 183-198, March.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1979. "Capital Accumulation on the Transition Path in a Monetary Optimizing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(6), pages 1433-39, November.
- Beetsma, Roel & Uhlig, Harald, 1997.
"An Analysis of the 'Stability Pact',"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1669, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Woodford, 1995.
"Price Level Determinacy Without Control of a Monetary Aggregate,"
NBER Working Papers
5204, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Woodford, Michael, 1995. "Price-level determinacy without control of a monetary aggregate," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 1-46, December.
- Buiter, W.H. & Corsetti, G. & Roubini, N., 1992.
"Excessive Deficits: Sense and Nonsence in the Treaty of Maastricht,"
674, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Buiter, Willem H & Corsetti, Giancarlo & Roubini, Nouriel, 1992. "`Excessive Deficits': Sense and Nonsense in the Treaty of Maastricht," CEPR Discussion Papers 750, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sargent, Thomas J, 1982.
"Beyond Demand and Supply Curves in Macroeconomics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 72(2), pages 382-89, May.
- Roubini, Nouriel & Sachs, Jeffrey D., 1989. "Political and economic determinants of budget deficits in the industrial democracies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 903-933, May.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985.
"Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-47, April.
- B. Douglas Bernheim, 1988.
"Ricardian Equivalence: An Evaluation of Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
2330, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- B. Douglas Bernheim, 1987. "Ricardian Equivalence: An Evaluation of Theory and Evidence," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1987, Volume 2, pages 263-316 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J., 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Liviatan, Nissan, 1984. "Tight money and inflation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 5-15, January.
- Weil, Philippe, 1987. "Permanent budget deficits and inflation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 393-410, September.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1990. "Principles of Budgetary and Financial Policy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262524139, December.
- Evans, Paul, 1991. "Is Ricardian Equivalence a Good Approximation?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(4), pages 626-44, October.
- Liviatan, Nissan, 1988. "On the Interaction between Monetary and Fiscal Policies under Perfect Foresight," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(1), pages 193-203, March.
- Buti, Marco & Franco, Daniele & Ongena, Hedwig, 1998. "Fiscal Discipline and Flexibility in EMU: The Implementation of the Stability and Growth Pact," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(3), pages 81-97, Autumn.
- Liviatan, Nissan, 1982. "Neutrality of government bonds reconsidered," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 261-270, November.
- Marco BUTI & Daniele FRANCO & Hedwig ONGENA, 1997.
"Budgeetary Policies during Recessions : Retrospective Application of the Stability and Growth Pact” to the Post-War Period,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
1997041, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- M. Buti & D. Franco & H. Ongena, 1997. "Budgetary Policies during Recessions - Retrospective Application of the "Stability and Growth Pact" to the Post-War Period," European Economy - Economic Papers 121, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Nouriel Roubini & Jeffrey Sachs, 1988. "Political and Economic Determinants of Budget Deficits in the IndustrialDemocracies," NBER Working Papers 2682, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leonardo Leiderman & Mario I. Blejer, 1988. "Modeling and Testing Ricardian Equivalence: A Survey," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(1), pages 1-35, March.
- Buiter, Willem H & Kletzer, Kenneth, 1990. "Reflections on the Fiscal Implications of a Common Currency," CEPR Discussion Papers 418, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cohen, Daniel, 1985. "Inflation, wealth and interest rates in an intertemporal optimizing model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 73-85, July.
- Weil, Philippe, 1991. "Is Money Net Wealth?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(1), pages 37-53, February.
- Barry Eichengreen & Charles Wyplosz, 1998. "The Stability Pact: more than a minor nuisance?," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 65-113, 04.
- Padurean, Elena & Leonida, Ionel & Baltaretu, Camelia, 2010. "Evaluation Of The Fiscal-Budgetary Policy Sustainability In Romania," Studii Financiare (Financial Studies), Centre of Financial and Monetary Research "Victor Slavescu", vol. 14(4), pages 126-139.
- Barbara Annicchiarico, 2006.
"Fiscal Policy and Exchange Rates,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 89(2), pages 165-185, November.
- Detken, Carsten & Gaspar, Vítor & Winkler, Bernhard, 2004.
"On prosperity and posterity: the need for fiscal discipline in a monetary union,"
Working Paper Series
0420, European Central Bank.
- Carsten Detken & Vítor Gaspar & Bernhard Winkler, 2005. "On Prosperity and Posterity: The Need for Fiscal Discipline in a Monetary Union," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 30, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
- Silvia Sgherri, 2002.
"The fiscal dimension of a common monetary policy: results with a non-Ricardian global model,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 449-479.
- S. Sgherri, 2000. "The fiscal dimension of a common monetary policy: results with a non-Ricardian global model," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 615, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Annicchiarico, Barbara, 2003. "Government deficits, wealth effects and the price level in an optimizing model," Working Paper Series 0285, European Central Bank.
- Paul Hiebert & Javier J. Pérez & Massimo Rostagno, 2002.
"Debt reduction and automatic stabilisation,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2002/12, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.