The Effects of Current Fiscal Restraint on the Australian Economy: an Applied General Equilibrium Analysis with Imperfect Competition
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to examine the short run and long run effects of the reduction of government expenditure on the Australian economy using an applied general equilibrium model, which incorporates economies of scale and imperfect competition. The paper describes a 23-sector computable general equilibrium model of the Australian economy, and covers short-run as well as long-run profit-maximising behaviour of the firm. Economies of scale are incorporated in the model at the industry level and the firm level. The pricing behaviour is modelled as perfectly competitive, monopolistically competitive and in other ad hoc ways, as in Harris (1984). The different assumptions about technology, pricing behaviour and firm entry are combined in various ways to produce a variety of scenarios in our simulations. We present results for three different types of non-competitive regime and compare these with results generated by a traditional version of the same model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Monash University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre in its series Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers with number op-91.
Date of creation: Apr 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th Floor, Menzies Building, Wellington Road, Clayton, Victoria, 3168
Phone: 03 9905 2398
Fax: 03 9905 2426
Web page: http://www.monash.edu.au/policy/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaludura Abayasiri-Silva & Mark Horridge, 1996. "Economies of Scale and Imperfect Competition in an Applied General Equilibrium Model of the Australian Economy," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers op-84, Monash University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Mark Horridge, 2000. "ORANI-G: A General Equilibrium Model of the Australian Economy," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers op-93, Monash University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Bloch, H., 1991.
"Pricing in Australian Manufacturing,"
1991-07, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Nguyen, T.T & Wigle, R.M., 1988. "Trade Liberalization With Imperfect Competition: The Large And Small Of It," Working Papers 89128, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics.
- Harrison, Glenn W & Rutherford, Thomas F & Tarr, David G, 1997. "Quantifying the Uruguay Round," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(444), pages 1405-30, September.
- Spence, Michael, 1976. "Product Selection, Fixed Costs, and Monopolistic Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 217-35, June.
- Randall Wigle, 1988. "General Equilibrium Evaluation of Canada-U.S. Trade Liberalization in a Global Context," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(3), pages 539-64, August.
- Harris, Richard, 1984.
"Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 1016-32, December.
- Richard Harris, 1983. "Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition," Working Papers 524, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Shantayanan Devarajan & Dani Rodrik, 1989.
"Pro-Competitive Effects of Trade Reform: Results from a CGE Model of Cameroon,"
NBER Working Papers
3176, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Rodrik, Dani, 1991. "Pro-competitive effects of trade reform : Results from a CGE model of Cameroon," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1157-1184, July.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Rodrik, Dani, 1989. "Trade Liberalization in Developing Countries: Do Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies Matter?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 283-87, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Horridge).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.