General Equilibrium Evaluation of Canada-U.S. Trade Liberalization in a Global Context
AbstractThis paper analyzes the effects of Canada-U.S. trade liberalization using a revised version of the global trade model due to J. Whalley (1986). The model incorpora tes scale features similar to those in R. G. Harris and D. Cox (1984). The evaluated effects of bilateral free trade are significantly dif ferent than those of Harris and Cox, and the paper evaluates the cont ribution of various model features to these differences. Elasticity v alues used, calibration procedures used, and the basic model structur e (global versus one-country) are found to be important contributions to the difference in model results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Canadian Economics Association in its journal Canadian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (1988)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Keuschnigg, Christian & Kohler, Wilhelm K., 1994.
"Commercial Policy and Dynamic Adjustment Under Monopolistic Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1037, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keuschnigg, Christian & Kohler, Wilhelm, 1996. "Commercial policy and dynamic adjustment under monopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 373-409, May.
- Markusen, James R. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Hunter, Linda, 1995. "Trade liberalization in a multinational-dominated industry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 95-117, February.
- Cletus C. Coughlin, 1990. "What do economic models tell us about the effects of the U.S.-Canada Free Trade Agreement?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 40-58.
- Jean Mercenier, 1994.
"Nonuniqueness of solutions in applied general equilibrium models with scale economies and imperfect competition,"
183, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Mercenier, Jean, 1995. "Nonuniqueness of Solutions in Applied General Equilibrium Models with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 161-77, June.
- Daron Djerdjian, 2010. "Economics versus politics in trade policy," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 146(2), pages 223-240, June.
- Linda Hunter & James R. Markusen & Thomas F. Rutherford, 1991.
"Trade Liberalization in a Multinational-Dominated Industry: A Theoretical and Applied General-Equilibrium Analysis,"
NBER Working Papers
3679, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linda Hunter & James R. Markusen & Thomas F. Rutherford, 1991. "Trade liberalization in a multinational-dominated industry: a theoretical and applied general equilibrium analysis," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, pages 39-42.
- Djerdjian, Daron O., 2009. "Economies of scale and trade policy: The median voter model revisited," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 479-487, June.
- Gabrielle Antille & Fabrizio Carlevaro & Nicolas Schmitt & Simon Fraser, 1990. "Europe 1992 and Beyond: Towards a Quantitative General Equilibrium Assessment for Switzerland," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 126(III), pages 193-213, September.
- Kaludura Abayasiri-Silva & Mark Horridge, 1998. "The Effects of Current Fiscal Restraint on the Australian Economy: an Applied General Equilibrium Analysis with Imperfect Competition," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers op-91, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Koo, Won W. & Karemera, David, 1992. "Trade Creation and Diversion Effects of the U.S.-Canadian Free Trade Agreement," Agricultural Economics Reports 23345, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Lawrence H. Goulder and Barry Eichengreen., 1989.
"Trade Liberalization in General Equilibrium: Intertemporal and Inter-Industry Effects,"
Economics Working Papers
89-110, University of California at Berkeley.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Barry Eichengreen, 1992. "Trade Liberalization in General Equilibrium: Intertemporal and Inter-industry Effects," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(2), pages 253-80, May.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Barry Eichengreen, 1989. "Trade Liberalization in General Equilibrium: Intertemporal and Inter-Industry Effects," NBER Working Papers 2965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goulder, Lawrence H. & Eichengreen, Barry, 1989. "Trade Liberalization in General Equilibrium: Intertemporal and Inter-Industry Effects," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt0ws6559g, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Adams, F. Gerard & Park, I., 1995. "Measuring the impact of AFTA: An application of a linked CGE system," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 325-365, August.
- Heinz Hauser & Peter Moser, 1990. "Die wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Forschung über Fragen Schweiz - EG: Stand, Hauptergebnisse, Lücken," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 126(III), pages 231-253, September.
- Kaludura Abayasiri-Silva & Mark Horridge, 1996. "Economies of Scale and Imperfect Competition in an Applied General Equilibrium Model of the Australian Economy," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers op-84, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.