Enrollment and Quality Levels of Colombia's Public Basic Education: Has Fiscal Decentralization Improved Them?
AbstractThis paper provides empirical evidence of the impact of fiscal decentralization on Colombia's public basic education. Based on the social and economic data available for 1,003 municipalities and 13,670 public schools, for the last decade, we confirmed that decentralization has had a positive and non-monotone effect on education enrollment. Likewise, our results suggest that it has had a positive impact on quality, once several variables, commonly used to explain performance differences, were controlled. Assuming that the effects of decentralization might have been uneven between regions and within them, we specified panel data and cross section econometric models for all municipalities as a whole, for size-based municipal categories, and for the towns which receive education funding directly from the central government or not.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA with number 010387.
Date of creation: 10 Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Public Goods; Local Taxation; Intergovernmental Relations; Education Expenditures; Government Programs;
Other versions of this item:
- Ignacio Lozano & María Adelaida Martínez, 2013. "Enrollment and quality levels of Colombia’s public basic education: Has fiscal decentralization improved them?," Borradores de Economia 747, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
- I22 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Educational Finance; Financial Aid
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Paul Faguet & Fabio Sanchez, 2006.
"Decentralization’s effects on educational outcomes in Bolivia and Colombia,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2397, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Faguet, Jean-Paul & Sánchez, Fabio, 2008. "Decentralization's Effects on Educational Outcomes in Bolivia and Colombia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1294-1316, July.
- Jean-Paul Faguet & Fabio Sanchez, 2006. "Decentralization´S Effects On Educational Outcomes In Bolivia And Colombia," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 002255, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Jean-Paul Faguet & Fabio Sanchez, 2006. "Decentralization’S Effects On Educational Outcomes In Bolivia And Colombia," STICERD - Development Economics Papers - From 2008 this series has been superseded by Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers 47, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Richard M. Bird, 2012.
"Subnational Taxation in Large Emerging Countries: BRIC Plus One,"
06, University of Toronto, Institute on Municipal Finance and Governance.
- Richard M. Bird, 2012. "Subnational Taxation in Large Emerging Countries: BRIC Plus One," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1201, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Ligia Melo Becerra, 2005.
"Impacto De La Descentralización Fiscal Sobre La Educación Pública Colombiana,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002802, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Ligia Melo B., . "Impacto de la Descentralización Fiscal sobre la Educación Pública Colombiana," Borradores de Economia 350, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Emilie Caldeira & Martial Foucault & Grégoire Rota-Graziosi, 2012.
"Does Decentralization Facilitate Access to Poverty-Related Services? Evidence from Benin,"
NBER Working Papers
18118, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emilie Caldeira & Martial Foucault & Grégoire Rota-Graziosi, 2014. "Does Decentralization Facilitate Access to Poverty-Related Services? Evidence from Benin," NBER Chapters, in: African Successes: Government and Institutions National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Norma Judith Paternina).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.