The Effects of Diversification on Banks’ Expected Returns
AbstractIn financial theory, the optimal allocation of assets and its relationship with profitability has been one of the main concerns; the question has always been if banks should focus or diversify their assets. In our case, we would like to answer this question focusing in diversification of the loan portfolio, presenting a theoretical model that considers the possible gains from diversification, while taking into account the effects of monitoring. Additionally, we present empirical evidence on this matter for the Colombian banking system. According to the model, we find that once the banks have chosen its optimal level of monitoring, expected return is always higher when the bank decides to focus. Additionally, the empirical results suggest that there are no possible gains form diversification in bank’s cost and that, on average, the effects of focusing the loan portfolio reduces bank’s return while showing positive effects of focusing on an specific sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA with number 004991.
Date of creation: 14 Aug 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Dairo Estrada & Angela González Arbelaéz & Javier Gutiérrez Rueda, . "The Effects of Diversification on Banks’ Expected Returns," Borradores de Economia 524, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Col - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
- Ban - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - - - -
- Sys - - - - - -
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Degryse, Hans & Ongena, Steven, 2007.
"The impact of competition on bank orientation,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/162612, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Dairo Estrada & Poldy Osorio, 2004. "Effects Of Financial Capital On Colombian Banking Efficiency," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002432, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Hancock, Diana, 1986. "A model of the financial firm with imperfect asset and deposit elasticities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 37-54, March.
- Viral V. Acharya & Iftekhar Hasan & Anthony Saunders, 2006.
"Should Banks Be Diversified? Evidence from Individual Bank Loan Portfolios,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 1355-1412, May.
- Iftekhar Hasan & Anthony Saunders & Viral V. Acharya, 2002. "Should banks be diversified? Evidence from individual bank loan portfolios," BIS Working Papers 118, Bank for International Settlements.
- Clark, Jeffrey A, 1996. "Economic Cost, Scale Efficiency, and Competitive Viability in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(3), pages 342-64, August.
- Carletti, Elena & Cerasi, Vittoria & Daltung, Sonja, 2004.
"Multiple-bank lending: diversification and free-riding in monitoring,"
Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications
04-15, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Carletti, Elena & Cerasi, Vittoria & Daltung, Sonja, 2007. "Multiple-bank lending: Diversification and free-riding in monitoring," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 425-451, July.
- Cerasi, Vittoria & Daltung, Sonja, 2004. "Multiple-bank lending: Diversification and free-riding in monitoring," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/18, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Sonja Daltung & Vittoria Cerasi & Elena Carletti, 2004. "Multiple-bank lending: diversification and free-riding in monitoring," FMG Discussion Papers dp490, Financial Markets Group.
- Carletti, Elena & Cerasi, Vittoria & Daltung, Sonja, 2004. "Multiple-Bank Lending: Diversification and Free-Riding in Monitoring," Working Paper Series 165, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Elena Carletti & Vittoria Cerasi & Sonja Daltung, 2006. "Multiple-bank lending: diversification and free-riding in monitoring," Working Papers 20061103, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Dipartimento di Statistica, revised Nov 2006.
- Cerasi, Vittoria & Daltung, Sonja, 2000.
"The optimal size of a bank: Costs and benefits of diversification,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 44(9), pages 1701-1726, October.
- V. Cerasi & S. Daltung, 1995. "The Optimal Size of a Bank: Costs and Benefits of Diversification," Departmental Working Papers 1995-05, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Dairo Estrada & Poldy Osorio, .
"Effects of Financial Capital on Colombian Banking Efficiency,"
Borradores de Economia
291, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Dairo Estrada & Poldy Osorio, . "Effects of Financial Capital on Colombian Banking Efficiency," Borradores de Economia 292, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert De Young, 2001.
"The effects of geographic expansion on bank efficiency,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2001-03, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen Berger & Robert DeYoung, 2001. "The Effects of Geographic Expansion on Bank Efficiency," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 163-184, April.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 2000. "The effects of geographic expansion on bank efficiency," Working Paper Series WP-00-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Kevin Stiroh, 2004. "Do Community Banks Benefit from Diversification?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 135-160, April.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1993. "Market Liquidity and Performance Monitoring," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 678-709, August.
- Winton, Andrew, 1997. "Competition among Financial Intermediaries When Diversification Matters," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 307-346, October.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, 09.
- Dairo Estrada & Poldy Osorio, 2004. "Effects Of Financial Capital On Colombian Banking Efficiency," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- von Westernhagen, Natalja & Porath, Daniel & Hayden, Evelyn, 2006. "Does diversification improve the performance of German banks? Evidence from individual bank loan portfolios," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2006,05, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Evelyn Hayden & Daniel Porath & Natalja von Westernhagen, 2006. "Does Diversification Improve the Performance of German Banks? Evidence from Individual Bank Loan Portfolios," Working Papers 110, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1990. "Measuring cost efficiency in banking : Econometric and linear programming evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 229-245.
- Denis, David J & Denis, Diane K & Sarin, Atulya, 1997. " Agency Problems, Equity Ownership, and Corporate Diversification," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 135-60, March.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hancock, Diana & Humphrey, David B., 1993. "Bank efficiency derived from the profit function," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 317-347, April.
- David Pérez-Reyna, . "Una aproximación para analizar la estabilidad financiera por medio de un DSGE," Temas de Estabilidad Financiera 040, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Norma Judith Paternina).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.