Effects of a Mortgage Interest Rate Subsidy: Evidence from Colombia
AbstractGovernment intervention in the construction sector as a way to boost the economy hasbeen a constant in Colombia for the past 90 years. This paper explicitly tests the impact of the most recent of such interventions: a subsidy to the mortgage interest rate. Our results show that the subsidy boosted mortgage loans by around 38 percent. However, we also find that real interest rates went up by 1.09 percent, i.e., there has been an incomplete pass through of the subsidy to the consumer. We estimate the pass-through of such intervention to be in the range of 65 percent to 74 percent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE in its series DOCUMENTOS CEDE with number 008749.
Date of creation: 09 May 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Mortgage loans; mortgage interest rate subsidy; history of mortgage loans in Colombia.;
Other versions of this item:
- Marc Hofstetter & Jorge Tovar & Miguel Urrutia, 2011. "Effects of a Mortgage Interest Rate Subsidy: Evidence from Colombia," IDB Publications 37878, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Marc Hofstetter & Jorge Tovar & Miguel Urrutia, 2011. "Effects of a Mortgage Interest Rate Subsidy: Evidence from Colombia," Research Department Publications 4718, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- N96 - Economic History - - Regional and Urban History - - - Latin America; Caribbean
- R21 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Housing Demand
- R28 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAM-2011-06-18 (Central & South America)
- NEP-URE-2011-06-18 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Juan Esteban Carranza, 2011. "La indexación de los saldos hipotecarios y la crisis colombiana de final de siglo XX," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Universidad De Los Andes-Cede).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.