Mortgage Interest Rates, Country Risk and Maturity Matching in Colombia
AbstractIn this paper, we examine the determinants of mortgage loans interest rates in Colombia during the period January 2002 - June 2006. We find that the main macroeconomic determinant is public debt interest rates. At the micro level, we find that credit risk is the main determinant. We demonstrate and analyze the tight relationship between country risk and mortgage debt interest rates. This relationship has been growing over time, as banks have increased their share of long-term liabilities in an effort to reduce the maturity mismatch that characterized their balance sheets prior to the 1998-99 financial crisis. Nevertheless, the reduction in the maturity mismatch has left mortgage rates more exposed to country risk variations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE in its series DOCUMENTOS CEDE with number 004544.
Date of creation: 14 Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2008-03-08 (Banking)
- NEP-URE-2008-03-08 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hernando Vargas & Andrés Gonzalez & Ignacio Lozano, 2012.
"Macroeconomic effects of structural fiscal policy changes in Colombia,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Fiscal policy, public debt and monetary policy in emerging market economies, volume 67, pages 119-160
Bank for International Settlements.
- Hernando Vargas & Andrés González & Ignacio Lozano, 2012. "Macroeconomic Effects of Structural Fiscal Policy Changes in Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 009314, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Hernando Vargas & Andrés González & Ignacio Lozano, 2012. "Macroeconomic Effects of Structural Fiscal Policy Changes in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 691, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Franz Hamann & Hernando Vargas & Andrés Gónzalez, 2010.
"Efectos de la política monetaria sobre las tasas de interés de los créditos hipotecarios en Colombia,"
REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD,
UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Hernando Vargas Herrera & Franz Hamann & Andrés González, . "Efectos de la política monetaria sobre las tasas de interés de los créditos hipotecarios en Colombia," Borradores de Economia 592, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Hernando Vargas Herrera & Franz Hamann & Andrés González, 2010. "Efectos de la política monetaria sobre las tasas de interés de los créditos hipotecarios en Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 006858, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.