Dissecting The Size Distribution Of Establishments Across Countries
AbstractWe present a detailed description of cross-country differences in the size distribution of establishments as measured by Enterprise Surveys of the World Bank (2006-2010). We find that poorer countries tend to have smaller establishments, and hence a higher proportion of employment is allocated to such plants. We also find that, conditional on the level of per capita GDP, there is still a wide variation in the size distribution of establishments. We show that financial frictions and other costs imposed on the business environment can account for a sizeable part of such variation. Additionally, we exploit the richness of the data-set to document cross-sector differences in the size distribution of establishments. We show that establishments in manufacturing and construction tend to be larger on average than in retail and other services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CEMFI in its series Working Papers with number wp2012_1204.
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
Plant size distribution; enterprise environment.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L53 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Enterprise Policy
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-07-01 (Business Economics)
- NEP-IUE-2012-07-01 (Informal & Underground Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thierry Mayer & Soledad Zignago, 2011.
"Notes on CEPII’s distances measures: The GeoDist database,"
2011-25, CEPII research center.
- Francisco J. Buera & Joseph Kaboski & Yongseok Shin, 2009.
"Finance and Development: A Tale of Two Sectors,"
NBER Working Papers
14914, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poschke, Markus, 2010.
"Skill-Biased Change in Entrepreneurial Technology,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5202, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Banerji, Ranadev, 1978. "Average size of plants in manufacturing and capital intensity : A cross-country analysis by industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 155-166, June.
- Virgiliu Midrigan & Daniel Yi Xu, 2010.
"Finance and Misallocation: Evidence from Plant-level Data,"
NBER Working Papers
15647, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Virgiliu Midrigan & Daniel Yi Xu, 2014. "Finance and Misallocation: Evidence from Plant-Level Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 104(2), pages 422-58, February.
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton & Fabio Kanczuk, 2009.
"Plant-Size Distribution and Cross-Country Income Differences,"
in: NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2008, pages 243-272
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton & Fabio Kanczuk, 2008. "Plant-Size Distribution and Cross-Country Income Differences," NBER Working Papers 14060, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicolas Roys & Francois Gourio, 2013.
"Size-Dependent Regulations, Firm Size Distribution, and Reallocation,"
2013 Meeting Papers
199, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- François Gourio & Nicolas Roys, 2013. "Size-dependent regulations, firm size distribution, and reallocation," Working Paper Series WP-2013-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- François Gourio & Nicolas A. Roys, 2012. "Size-Dependent Regulations, Firm Size Distribution, and Reallocation," NBER Working Papers 18657, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Araceli Requerey).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.