Los Resultados Macroeconómicos del Gobierno de Eduardo Frei RT: Una Evaluación Comparativa
AbstractThis study undertakes a balance of the macroeconomic results of the Frei Ruiz-Tagle Administration compared with other Chilean administrations from the last third of the 20th century and with a group of emerging economies. In both comparisons, the Frei RT Administration enjoys among the best results according to the macroeconomic performance indicator constructed. Its principal strengths included control of inflation, economic growth, capital formation and savings, while its relative weaknesses were export growth and the unemployment rate. The results varied over time since contagion from the Asian crisis resulted in a weakening of overall performance. This experience demonstrates that, to prevent contagion from external crises, it is not sufficient to maintain a healthy financial system and low and stable inflation. Vulnerability to contagion can result from an excessive expansion in private expenditure, which presents a pending challenge to develop adequate instruments to confront this.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 81.
Date of creation: Oct 2000
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-02-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2002-02-15 (International Finance)
- NEP-PKE-2002-02-15 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francisco Gallego & Leonardo Hernández & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 1999.
"Capital Controls in Chile: Effective? Efficient?,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
59, Central Bank of Chile.
- Francisco A. Gallego & Leonardo Hernandez & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2000. "Capital Controls in Chile: Effective? Efficient?," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0330, Econometric Society.
- Guillermo Le Fort & Sergio Lehmann, 2000. "El Encaje, los Flujos de Capitales y el Gasto: Una Evaluación empírica," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 64, Central Bank of Chile.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.