Evaluation of Short Run Inflation Forecasts in Chile
AbstractThe Central Bank of Chile builds inflation forecasts for several time horizons and using various methodologies. In this paper, we analyze one of these series of short-term inflation forecasts, which we call Auxiliary Inflation Forecasts (AIF), comparing them to forecasts made by private analysts and to forecasts built from simple time-series models. We also evaluate the AIF using encompassing tests and bias and weak efficiency tests. Our aim is to answer two linked questions: first, which is the best forecast series under a specific loss function? and second, are the differences of accuracy between any two series of forecasts totally explained by the differences in the information sets from which they have been built? Our results indicate that the AIF behave extremely well at one- and two-month horizons, but they are less adequate at longer horizons.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 674.
Date of creation: Aug 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-FOR-2012-08-23 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MAC-2012-08-23 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Öller, Lars-Erik & Barot, Bharat, 2000.
"The Accuracy of European Growth and Inflation Forecasts,"
72, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Oller, Lars-Erik & Barot, Bharat, 2000. "The accuracy of European growth and inflation forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 293-315.
- Raffaella Giacomini & Halbert White, 2003.
"Tests of Conditional Predictive Ability,"
- Giacomini, Raffaella & White, Halbert, 2003. "Tests of Conditional Predictive Ability," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt5jk0j5jh, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Raffaella Giacomini & Halbert White, 2003. "Tests of conditional predictive ability," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 572, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Chumacero, Romulo A, 2001. "Empirical Analysis of Systematic Errors in Chilean GDP Forecasts," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 37-45, January.
- Pablo Pincheira & Carlos A. Medel, 2012. "Forecasting Inflation with a Simple and Accurate Benchmark: a Cross-Country Analysis," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 677, Central Bank of Chile.
- Pablo Pincheira, 2012. "A Joint Test of Superior Predictive Ability for Chilean Inflation Forecasts," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 15(3), pages 04-39, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.