Jaque Mate a las Proyecciones de Consenso
AbstractIn this article we analyze bias and autocorrelation properties of inflation forecast errors coming from the surveys carried out by Consensus Economics. We consider monthly forecasts for Chile, México and Brazil as well as quarterly forecasts for the US, Canada, Sweden and Japan. Our sample spans the period from March 2002 to June 2008. We consider forecasts at several predictive horizons. Our results indicate the existence of excessive autocorrelation and bias in forecast errors, which is not consistent with optimality under quadratic loss. We also explore whether these findings of excessive autocorrelation and bias enable us to build new and more accurate inflation forecasts. We evaluate these new forecasts in an out-of sample exercise and find that they are more accurate in the cases of Chile, Mexico, Brazil and the US. For Canada, our results are mixed depending on the forecasting horizon. For Sweden and Japan, however, the new forecasts display lower accuracy. It is worth mentioning that in the best case, our new forecasts display a 45% reduction in the Mean Squared Prediction Error.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 630.
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raffaella Giacomini & Halbert White, 2003.
"Tests of Conditional Predictive Ability,"
- Raffaella Giacomini & Halbert White, 2003. "Tests of conditional predictive ability," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 572, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Giacomini, Raffaella & White, Halbert, 2003. "Tests of Conditional Predictive Ability," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt5jk0j5jh, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Patton, Andrew J. & Timmermann, Allan, 2007.
"Properties of optimal forecasts under asymmetric loss and nonlinearity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 884-918, October.
- Allan Timmermann & Andrew Patton, 2004. "Properties of Optimal Forecasts under Asymmetric Loss and Nonlinearity," Working Papers wp04-05, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Capistrán, Carlos & López-Moctezuma, Gabriel, 2010. "Las expectativas macroeconómicas de los especialistas. Una evaluación de pronósticos de corto plazo en México," El Trimestre Económico, Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(306), pages 275-312, abril-jun.
- Joutz, Fred & Stekler, H. O., 2000. "An evaluation of the predictions of the Federal Reserve," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 17-38.
- Carlos Bowles & Roberta Friz & Veronique Genre & Geoff Kenny & Aidan Meyler & Tuomas Rautanen, 2007. "The ECB survey of professional forecasters (SPF) – A review after eight years’ experience," Occasional Paper Series 59, European Central Bank.
- Jacob A. Mincer & Victor Zarnowitz, 1969. "The Evaluation of Economic Forecasts," NBER Chapters, in: Economic Forecasts and Expectations: Analysis of Forecasting Behavior and Performance, pages 1-46 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bentancor, Andrea & Pincheira, Pablo, 2010. "Predicción de errores de proyección de inflación en Chile," El Trimestre Económico, Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(305), pages 129-154, enero-mar.
- Clemen, Robert T., 1989. "Combining forecasts: A review and annotated bibliography," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 559-583.
- Pablo Pincheira & Roberto Álvarez, 2012. "Evaluation of Short Run Inflation Forecasts in Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 674, Central Bank of Chile.
- Pablo Pincheira, 2012. "A Joint Test of Superior Predictive Ability for Chilean Inflation Forecasts," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 15(3), pages 04-39, December.
- Álvaro Aguirre, 2011. "Contracting Institutions and Economic Growth," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 643, Central Bank of Chile.
- Alfredo Pistelli M., 2012. "Análisis de Sesgos y Eficiencia en Proyecciones de Consensus Forecasts," Notas de Investigación Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 15(1), pages 98-104, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.