Expectational Stability of Resonant Frequency Sunspot Equilibria
AbstractWe consider the stability under adaptive learning of the complete set of solutions to the model when . In addition to the fundamentals solution, the literature describes both finite-state Markov sunspot solutions, satisfying a resonant frequency condition, and autoregressive solutions depending on an arbitrary martingale difference sequence. We clarify the relationships between these solutions and show that the stability properties of equilibria may depend crucially on the representation used by agents in the learning process. Only the finite-state Markov sunspot solutions can be stable under learning.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 497.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Indeterminacy; representations of solutions; learnability; expectational stability; endogenous fluctuations;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gourieroux, C & Laffont, J J & Monfort, Alain, 1982. "Rational Expectations in Dynamic Linear Models: Analysis of the Solutions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(2), pages 409-25, March.
- Woodford, Michael, 1990. "Learning to Believe in Sunspots," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 277-307, March.
- Evans, George W., 1989. "The fragility of sunspots and bubbles," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 297-317, March.
- Evans, George & Honkapohja, Seppo, 1986. "A Complete Characterization of ARMA Solutions to Linear Rational Expectations Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 227-39, April.
- Desgranges, Gabriel & Negroni, Giorgio, 2003.
"Expectations Coordination On A Sunspot Equilibrium: An Eductive Approach,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(01), pages 7-41, February.
- G. Desgranges & G. Negroni, 2001. "Expectations Coordination on a Sunspot Equilibrium: an Eductive Approach," THEMA Working Papers 2001-13, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja & Ramon Marimon, 2003.
"Stable Sunspot Equilibria in a Cash-in-Advance Economy,"
14, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Evans George W & Honkapohja Seppo M.S. & Marimon Ramon, 2007. "Stable Sunspot Equilibria in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-38, January.
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja & Ramon Marimon, 2004. "Stable sunspot equilibria in a cash-in-advance economy," Economics Working Papers 844, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jul 2005.
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja & Ramon Marimon, 2001. "Stable Sunspot Equilibria in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," CESifo Working Paper Series 611, CESifo Group Munich.
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja & Ramon Marimon, 2002. "Stable Sunspot Equilibira in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2001-5, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 15 Nov 2005.
- Honkapohja, Seppo & Mitra, Kaushik, 2004.
"Are non-fundamental equilibria learnable in models of monetary policy?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 1743-1770, November.
- Honkapohja, Seppo & Mitra, Kaushik, 2001. "Are Non-Fundamental Equilibria Learnable in Models of Monetary Policy?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2846, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Honkapohja, S. & Mitra, K., 2001. "Are Non-Fundamental Equilibria Learnable in Models of Monetary Policy?," University of Helsinki, Department of Economics 501, Department of Economics.
- Seppo Honkapohja & Kaushik Mitra, . "Are Non-Fundamental Equilibria Learnable in Models of Monetary Policy?," Discussion Papers 01/05, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Kaushik Mitra & Seppo Honkapohja, 2004. "Are Non-Fundamental Equilibria Learnable in Models of Monetary Policy?," Royal Holloway, University of London: Discussion Papers in Economics 04/13, Department of Economics, Royal Holloway University of London, revised Jul 2004.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.