Labour Market Reforms and Outcomes in Estonia
AbstractThe unemployment rate in Estonia rose sharply in 2010 to one of the highest levels in the EU, after the country entered a severe recession in 2008. While the rate declined relatively rapidly in 2011, it remained high especially for the less educated. In 2009, the Employment Contract Law relaxed employment protection legislation and sought to raise income protection of the unemployed to facilitate transition from less to more productive jobs while mitigating social costs. Utilizing a search model, this paper shows that increasing further labour market flexibility through reducing the tax wedge on labour would facilitate the structural transformation and reduce the long-term unemployment rate. Linking increases in unemployment benefits to participation in job search or training programmes would improve the unemployed workers’ incentives to search for jobs or retrain and the medium term labour market outcomes. Social protection schemes for the unemployed should be also strengthened as initially intended to give the unemployed sufficient time to search for adequate jobs or retrain for new opportunities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 3756.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
labour market reforms; search model; Estonia; OECD countries;
Other versions of this item:
- Brixiova, Zuzana & Égert, Balázs, 2012. "Labour Market Reforms and Outcomes in Estonia," IZA Discussion Papers 6336, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Zuzana Brixiova & Balázs Égert, 2012. "Labour Market Reforms and Outcomes in Estonia," EconomiX Working Papers 2012-16, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Zuzana Brixiova & Balazs Egert, 2012. "Labour Market Reforms And Outcomes In Estonia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1027, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- J08 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics Policies
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006.
"Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions,"
OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers
35, OECD Publishing.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006. "Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 486, OECD Publishing.
- Jan HANOUSEK & Evžen KOČENDA, 2010.
"Public investment and fiscal performance in new EU member states,"
Departmental Working Papers
2010-07, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Jan Hanousek & Evzen Kocenda, 2010. "Public Investment and Fiscal Performance in New EU Member States," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1006, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jan Babecký, 2008. "Aggregate Wage Flexibility in New EU Member States," Czech Economic Review, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, vol. 2(2), pages 123-145, September.
- Annabelle Mourougane & Lukas Vogel, 2008.
"Speed of Adjustment to Selected Labour Market and Tax Reforms,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
647, OECD Publishing.
- Annabelle Mourougane & Lukas Vogel, 2009. "Speed of Adjustment to Selected Labour Market and Tax Reforms," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(4), pages 500-519, December.
- Nicola Duell & David Grubb & Shruti Singh, 2009. "Activation Policies in Finland," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 98, OECD Publishing.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Caroline Klein & Robert W.R. Price & Andreas Wörgötter, 2013.
"Slovakia: A Catching Up Euro Area Member In and Out of the Crisis,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
1019, OECD Publishing.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Klein, Caroline & Price, Robert & Wörgötter, Andreas, 2013. "Slovakia: A Catching Up Euro Area Member In and Out of the Crisis," IZA Policy Papers 55, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lilas Demmou, 2012. "Matching Skills and Jobs in Estonia," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 1007, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.