Types of Tax Concessions for Attracting Foreign Direct Investment in Free Economic Zones
AbstractNot only transition countries but also a large number of developing (and developed) countries have established free economic zones (FEZs) with the aim of attracting foreign capital by providing tax incentives, creating employment opportunities and promoting exports as well as regional development. Major theoretical justifications for the establishment of such economic zones generally maintain that there are economies of scale in the development of land and in the provision of common services and utilities as well as external economies of agglomeration by having similar industries grouped together. One of the main characteristics of FEZs is the provision of generous tax investment promotion schemes solely allowed in this enclave. In general such measures include: (a) profit tax exemption, (b) free or accelerated depreciation, (c) investment tax allowance, (d) subsidy for investment costs, etc. The incentive e.ects of various tax concessions on firms’ investment decisions can be compared on the basis of the net present value model. Without taxation, the net present value (NPV) is equal to the present value of future gross return, discounted at an appropriate interest rate less investment cost. An investment project is therefore considered to be profitable when the NPV is positive. After introducing the corporate income tax, the present value of the asset generated from an investment amounts to the sum of the present value of net return (gross return less taxes) and the tax savings, led by, for example, an incentive depreciation provision. In this study the theoretical approach is accompanied by a model simulation based on selected parameters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 1175.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
tax concessions; free economic zone; investment decision; net present value;
Other versions of this item:
- Chang Woon Nam & Doina Maria Radulescu, 2004. "Types of Tax Concessions for Attracting Foreign Direct Investment in Free Economic Zones," ERSA conference papers ersa04p174, European Regional Science Association.
- NEP-ALL-2004-06-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2004-06-02 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-IFN-2004-06-02 (International Finance)
- NEP-PBE-2004-06-02 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ernest P. Goss & Joseph M. Phillips, 2001. "The Impact of Tax Incentives: Do Initial Economic Conditions Matter?," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 32(2), pages 236-250.
- Leslie E. Papke, 1993.
"What Do We Know about Enterprise Zones?,"
NBER Working Papers
4251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan Auerbach & Michael P. Devereux & Helen Simpson, 2007.
"Taxing Corporate Income,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2139, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alan Auerbach & Michael P Devereux & Helen Simpson, 2007. "Taxing corporate income," Working Papers 0705, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Michael P. Devereux & Helen Simpson, 2008. "Taxing Corporate Income," NBER Working Papers 14494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kay, J A, 1977. "Inflation Accounting-A Review Article," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(346), pages 300-11, June.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991.
"Growth in Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang Woon Nam & Doina Maria Radulescu, 2003.
"The Role of Tax Depreciation for Investment Decisions: A Comparison of European Transition Countries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
847, CESifo Group Munich.
- Chang Woon Nam & Doina Maria Radulescu, 2005. "The Role of Tax Depreciation for Investment Decisions: A Comparison of European Transition Countries," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 43(5), pages 5-24, October.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1964. "Tax Deductibility of Economic Depreciation to Insure Invariant Valuations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 604.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Willi Leibfritz & Alfons J. Weichenrieder, 1999. "ifo Vorschlag zur Steuerreform," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 52(18), pages 03-18, October.
- Martin Feldstein, 1981. "Adjusting Depreciation in an Inflationary Economy: Indexing versus Acceleration," NBER Working Papers 0395, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy J. Bartik, 1991. "Who Benefits from State and Local Economic Development Policies?," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number wbsle, October.
- Zee, Howell H. & Stotsky, Janet G. & Ley, Eduardo, 2002. "Tax Incentives for Business Investment: A Primer for Policy Makers in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1497-1516, September.
- Timothy J. Bartik, 2003. "Local Economic Development Policies," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 03-91, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Aykut Kibritcioglu, 2003. "Free Zones in Turkey and Their Macroeconomic Effects," International Trade 0301001, EconWPA.
- Don Fullerton, 1984. "Which Effective Tax Rate?," NBER Working Papers 1123, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Bordignon & S. Giannini & P. Panteghini, 1998. "Corporate Taxation in Italy: an Analysis of the 1998 Reform," Working Papers 328, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Massimo Bordignon & Silvia Giannini & Paolo Panteghini, 1999. "Corporate Tax in Italy: An Analysis of the 1998 Reform," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 56(3/4), pages 335-, July.
- Miyagiwa, Kaz, 1993. "The locational choice for free-trade zones : Rural versus urban options," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 187-203, February.
- Devereux, Michael P & Griffith, Rachel, 2002.
"Evaluating Tax Policy for Location Decisions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3247, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:fth:ecrefo:9926 is not listed on IDEAS
- Danielova, Anna & Sarkar, Sudipto, 2011. "The effect of leverage on the tax-cut versus investment-subsidy argument," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 123-129.
- Sarkar, Sudipto, 2012. "Attracting private investment: Tax reduction, investment subsidy, or both?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1780-1785.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.