IT Investment and Firm Performance in U.S. Retail Trade
AbstractWe examine the relationships between investments in information technology (IT) and two measures of retail firm performance -- productivity and establishment growth -- over the 1992 to 1997 period. We use untapped firm and establishment micro data from the Censuses of Retail Trade and the Assets and Expenditures Survey. We show that large firms account for most retail IT investment, employment and establishment growth. We find evidence of a significant relationship between IT investment intensity and productivity growth. We found no such evidence of a link between IT growth in the number of establishments operated by retail firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau in its series Working Papers with number 02-14.
Date of creation: Jun 2002
Date of revision:
CES; economic; research; micro; data; microdata; chief; economist;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00289168 is not listed on IDEAS
- Haltiwanger, John & Jarmin, Ron & Schank, Thorsten, 2003.
"Productivity, investment in ICT and market experimentation: micro evidence from Germany und the US,"
19, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- John Haltiwanger & Ron Jarmin & Thorsten Schank, 2003. "Productivity, Investment in ICT and Market Experimentation: Micro Evidence from Germany and the U.S," Working Papers 03-06, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Emek Basker & Pham Hoang Van, 2005. "Putting a Smiley Face on the Dragon: Wal-Mart as Catalyst to U.S.-China Trade," Working Papers 0506, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised 07 Oct 2005.
- C.J. Krizan & John Haltiwanger & Lucia Foster, 2002.
"The Link Between Aggregate and Micro Productivity Growth: Evidence from Retail Trade,"
02-18, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Lucia Foster & John Haltiwanger & C.J. Krizan, 2002. "The Link Between Aggregate and Micro Productivity Growth: Evidence from Retail Trade," NBER Working Papers 9120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gonzalo Chavez & Oswaldo Lorenzo, 2006. "The impact of supply chain applications annoucements on the market value of firms," Working Papers Economia wp06-20, Instituto de Empresa, Area of Economic Environment.
- Mark Doms, 2004. "Productivity growth and the retail sector," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Dec 17.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fariha Kamal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.