Pemployment And Poverty In India-- 2000-2005
AbstractThis paper is principally focused on the changes in the size and structure of work force and the changes in labour productivity, wages and poverty in India in the first quinquennuim of the 21st century. The period between 2000 and 2005 saw a sharp acceleration in work force growth, and, on the obverse side, a slow-down in the rate of growth of labour productivity across most sectors and in the economy as a whole, and, a slow-down (a decline) in real wage growth in rural (urban) India. On a comparable basis, the reduction in poverty over this period is shown to be substantially smaller than indicated by other recent analyses. Consistent with the trends in labour productivity and real wages, relative to the 1994-2000 period, the pace of poverty reduction between 2000 and 2005 shows, at best, a marginal acceleration (or a marginal deceleration, depending on the choice of poverty lines) in rural India and a clear slow-down in urban India. This period also saw a small rise in the number of working poor and a substantial rise in the number of self-employed and regular wage/salary workers in ‘above poverty line’ or APL-households.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics in its series Working papers with number 155.
Length: 55 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2007-08-14 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2007-08-14 (Development)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- K. Sundaram, 2009.
"Measurement of Employment And Unemployment in India : Some Issues,"
- K Sundaram, 2009. "Measurement Of Employment And Unemployment In India: Some Issues," Working papers 174, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Arup Mitra, 2009. "Impact Of Trade On Service Sector Employment In India," Trade Working Papers 22929, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Vinoj Abraham, 2008.
"Employment growth in rural India: Distress driven?,"
Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers
404, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Vinoj Abraham, 2009. "Employment Growth in Rural India: Distress Driven?," Working Papers id:1824, eSocialSciences.
- Kamdar, Sangita, 2013. "Socioeconomic Impact of Employment Generation Program on Poor Urban Women," MPRA Paper 48760, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2013.
- Klasen, Stephan & Pieters, Janneke, 2012. "Push or Pull? Drivers of Female Labor Force Participation during India's Economic Boom," IZA Discussion Papers 6395, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pieters, Janneke & Klasen, Stephan, 2011. "Drivers of female labour force participation in urban India during India's Economic Boom," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 65, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Takahiro Ito, 2012. "Improvement of Socio-economic Conditions and Distribution of Consumption Expenditures: Case Study of India's Poverty Decline over Two Decades," IDEC DP2 Series 2-9, Hiroshima University, Graduate School for International Development and Cooperation (IDEC).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vinayan. K.P).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.