Measurement of Employment And Unemployment in India : Some Issues
AbstractThis paper offers a review of the concepts and definitions used in the NSS Employment-Unemployment Surveys (EUS, for short) which have remained virtually unchanged since they were introduced in the NSS 27th Round (1972-73) based on the analysis and recommendations in the Report of the Expert Group on Unemployment Estimate â€“ better known as the Dantwala Committee Report (GOI, 1970). It also examines critically the employment-unemployment estimates derived/derivable from EUS and the use of such estimates for planning and policy. [CDE DSE WP 174]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:1950.
Date of creation: May 2009
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
Employment-Unemployment Surveys; United Nations System of National Accounts; Indian System of National Accounts; primary products; Dantwala Committee; Planning Commission; NSS 61st Round Employment-Unemployment Survey; regular wage/salary workers; National Accounts Division of the Central Statistical Organization; Gross Value Added; Usual Principal Status; Directorate General of Employment and Training; work force participation rates; NIC-Codes; Modified Current Weekly Status;
Other versions of this item:
- K Sundaram, 2009. "Measurement Of Employment And Unemployment In India: Some Issues," Working papers 174, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2009-05-23 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2009-05-23 (Development)
- NEP-LAB-2009-05-23 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K. Sundaram, 2007.
"Pemployment And Poverty In India-- 2000-2005,"
155, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- K. Sundaram, 2008. "Employment, Wages and Poverty in the Organized and the Unorganized Segments of the Non-Agricultural Sector in India; All-India, 2000-2005," Working papers 165, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Padmini Desikachar & Brinda Viswanathan, 2012. "Patterns of Labour Market Insecurity in Rural India: A Multidimensional and Multivariate Analysis," Working Papers id:4901, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.