Measurement Of Employment And Unemployment In India: Some Issues
AbstractThis paper offers a review of the concepts and definitions used in the NSS Employment-Unemployment Surveys (EUS, for short) which have remained virtually unchanged since they were introduced in the NSS 27th Round (1972-73) based on the analysis and recommendations in the Report of the Expert Group on Unemployment Estimate – better known as the Dantwala Committee Report (GOI, 1970). It also examines critically the employment-unemployment estimates derived/derivable from EUS and the use of such estimates for planning and policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics in its series Working papers with number 174.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- K. Sundaram, 2009. "Measurement of Employment And Unemployment in India : Some Issues," Working Papers id:1950, eSocialSciences.
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2009-07-17 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-LAB-2009-07-17 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K. Sundaram, 2007.
"Employment and Poverty in India: 2000-2005,"
- K. Sundaram, 2008. "Employment, Wages and Poverty in the Organized and the Unorganized Segments of the Non-Agricultural Sector in India; All-India, 2000-2005," Working papers 165, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Padmini Desikachar & Brinda Viswanathan, 2012. "Patterns of Labour Market Insecurity in Rural India: A Multidimensional and Multivariate Analysis," Working Papers id:4901, eSocialSciences.
- Padmini Desikachar & Brinda Viswanathan, 2011. "Patterns of Labour Market Insecurity in Rural India: A Multidimensional and Multivariate Analysis," Working Papers 2011-062, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sanjeev Sharma).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.