The Russian Electricity Supply Industry: from Reform to Reform?
AbstractThe paper looks at the development of the industry in the post-Soviet Russia, starting from the early 1990s. The main focus is on the last reform 2003-11 and the relationship of cost, prices and investment. In particular, the author examines the new designs for the electricity and capacity markets and their impact on incentives for short-run production and long-term planning and construction. The author defends the pro-competitive approach to the electricity industry reform in Russia and traces the roots of its success and failures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge in its series Cambridge Working Papers in Economics with number 1342.
Date of creation: 27 Nov 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm
Russian Electricity Industry; RAO EES; reform 2003-11; restructuring; market liberalisation; capacity markets;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- L43 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Legal Monopolies and Regulation or Deregulation
- L52 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Industrial Policy; Sectoral Planning Methods
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-12-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2013-12-06 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-COM-2013-12-06 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CWA-2013-12-06 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-ENE-2013-12-06 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2013-12-06 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pollitt, M.G., 2009. "Electricity Liberalisation in the European Union: A Progress Report," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge 0953, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Gore, Olga & Viljainen, Satu & Makkonen, Mari & Kuleshov, Dmitry, 2012. "Russian electricity market reform: Deregulation or re-regulation?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 676-685.
- Pollitt, Michael G., 2012.
"The role of policy in energy transitions: Lessons from the energy liberalisation era,"
Energy Policy, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 128-137.
- Pollitt, M. G., 2012. "The role of policy in energy transitions: lessons from the energy liberalisation era," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge 1216, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Opitz, Petra, 2000. "The (pseudo-) liberalisation of Russia's power sector: the hidden rationality of transformation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 147-155, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.