The Environmental Benefits from Road Pricing
AbstractIn this paper the environmental benefits of optimal tolls in eight English towns are estimated. Tolls are simulated using the SATURN model (Simulation and Assignment of Traffic to Urban Road Networks) with associated software to simulate the changes in traffic patterns resulting from cordon tolls. With these results the optimal tolls are computed together with the resulting levels and speeds of traffic in each of our study towns. Changes in vehicle emissions are estimated and reduction in health and global warming costs computed. One of the main results is that any toll designed to reduce traffic congestion would yield positive environmental benefits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge in its series Cambridge Working Papers in Economics with number 0020.
Date of creation: Dec 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David M. Newbery & Georgina Santos, 1999. "Road taxes, road user charges and earmarking," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 20(2), pages 103-132, June.
- Georgina Santos & David Newbery, 2001. "Urban Congestion Charging: Theory, Practice and Environmental Consequences," CESifo Working Paper Series 568, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cerruti, Davide, 2013. "No free polluting anymore: The impact of a vehicle pollution charge on air quality," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150575, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Teresa Palmer Tous & Antoni Riera Font, 2005. "Road transport taxation: a critical review of their internalising effectiveness," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 173(2), pages 165-191, June.
- Safirova, Elena A. & Houde, Sébastien & Harrington, Winston, 2008. "Marginal Social Cost Pricing on a Transportation Network: Comparison of Second-Best Policies," Discussion Papers dp-07-52, Resources For the Future.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.