The Regulation and Supervision of the Belgian Financial System (1830 - 2005)
AbstractThis paper provides an overview of the regulation and supervision of the Belgian financial system from the creation of Belgium in 1830 to the early 21st century. After severe crises, the National Bank of Belgium was created in 1850. The Great Depression led to further reforms, increasing the role of the government, especially through the establishment of the Banking Commission. In the post-war period, reforms were driven by changes in the financial landscape, especially an increasing role for market forces. In line with the despecialisation process, the responsibilities of the Banking Commission were gradually extended, becoming, in 2004, the Banking, Finance and Insurance Commission. Moreover, at the turn of the millennium, the role of the NBB in financial stability matters was enhanced.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Greece in its series Working Papers with number 77.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Financial regulation; Financial supervision; Belgium;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- N23 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Europe: Pre-1913
- N44 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation - - - Europe: 1913-
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2008-07-30 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-REG-2008-07-30 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oosterloo, Sander & de Haan, Jakob, 2004. "Central banks and financial stability: a survey," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 257-273, December.
- Cassiers, I. & de Briey, V. & Degavre, F. & Provost, A.-C., 1998.
"Les Banques belges face à l'Etat: une rétrospective (1935-1993),"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1998007, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Anne-Catherine Provost & Florence Degavre & Valérie de Briey & Isabelle Cassiers, 1998. "Les banques belges face à l'État : une rétrospective (1935-1993)," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 48(4), pages 125-155.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.