Interbank overnight interest rates - gains from systemic importance
AbstractWe study overnight interbank interest rates paid by banks in Norway over the period 2006-2009. We observe large variations in interest rates across banks and over time. During the financial crisis, the interest rates are found to be substantially below indicative quotes of interest rates provided by major banks. Our econometric model attributes the interest rate variation partly to differences in banks' characteristics including relative size and connectedness, implying favorable terms for banks of systemic importance. Moreover, interest rates are found to depend not only on overall liquidity in the interbank market, but possibly on its distribution among banks as well, suggesting exploitation of market power by banks with surplus liquidity. There is also evidence of stronger effects on interest rates of systemic importance, credit ratings and liquidity demand and supply since the start of the current financial crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Norges Bank in its series Working Paper with number 2010/11.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 30 Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Interbank money market; Interest rates; Systemic importance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-07-10 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2010-07-10 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MON-2010-07-10 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ladley, Daniel, 2013.
"Contagion and risk-sharing on the inter-bank market,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 1384-1400.
- Dan Ladley, 2010. "Contagion and risk-sharing on the inter-bank market," Discussion Papers in Economics 11/10, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Jan 2013.
- Ronald Heijmans & Richard Heuver, 2011. "Is this bank ill? The diagnosis of doctor TARGET2," DNB Working Papers 316, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Luca Arciero & Ronald Heijmans & Richard Heuver & Marco Massarenti & Cristina Picillo & Francesco Vacirca, 2013.
"How to measure the unsecured money market? The Eurosystem's implementation and validation using TARGET2 data,"
DNB Working Papers
369, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Luca Arciero & Ronald Heijmans & Richard Heuver & Marco Massarenti & Cristina Picillo & Francesco Vacirca, 2014. "How to measure the unsecured money market? The Eurosystem’s implementation and validation using TARGET2 data," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 215, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Laine, Tatu & Nummelin, Tuomas & Snellman, Heli, 2011. "Combining liquidity usage and interest rates on overnight loans: an oversight indicator," Research Discussion Papers 23/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Ronald Heijmans & Richard Heuver & Clement Levallois & Iman van Lelyveld, 2014. "Dynamic visualization of large transaction networks: the daily Dutch overnight money market," DNB Working Papers 418, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Clemens Bonner & Sylvester Eijffinger, 2012.
"The Impact of the LCR on the Interbank Money Market,"
DNB Working Papers
364, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Bonner, C. & Eijffinger, S.C.W., 2012. "The Impact of the LCR on the Interbank Money Market," Discussion Paper 2012-075, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Galbiati, Marco & Soramäki, Kimmo, 2012. "Clearing networks," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 609-626.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.