La transmission des taux de marché aux taux bancaires : une estimation sur données individuelles françaises
AbstractThe present paper investigates the pass-through mechanism between market interest rates and bank interest rates using a panel of French banks based on new ESCB harmonised bank interest rate statistics (MIR: Monetary Interest Rates). The data are extracted from new individual contracts on a monthly basis for the three main segments of the credit market (consumers loans, mortgage loans and loans to non-financial firms) from January 2003 to July 2007. The pass-through is estimated using two approaches: firstly a univariate approach for each bank and secondly a panel data approach. An evaluation of the adjustment lag at which market rates are passed through to retail bank rates is also carried out. Our results confirm an incomplete adjustment of bank rates to changes in market rates in the long-term for loans to non-financial firms and mortgage loans. In addition, our findings suggest significant heterogeneity in the pricing of loans depending on the type of credit, the size and the legal category of banks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banque de France in its series Working papers with number 194.
Length: 55 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy ; Non-stationary Panel Data ; Cross-section Dependance.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001.
"A Note on the Selection of Time Series Models,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
500, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Yixiao Sun & Sainan Jin, 2005. "Improved HAR Inference," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1513, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- de Bondt, Gabe & Mojon, Benoît & Valla, Natacha, 2005. "Term structure and the sluggishness of retail bank interest rates in euro area countries," Working Paper Series 0518, European Central Bank.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de Bondt, Gabe, 2002. "Retail bank interest rate pass-through: new evidence at the euro area level," Working Paper Series 0136, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Christine Petit-Djemad).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.